Guard Silver trim EM -strange markings

I recently purchased a silver trimmed Prussian black plumed enlisted mans helmet. It is complete with M1 chinscales and is all untouched. The problem is the markings in the back visor. I do not understand what unit it is. Any help out there: VAV inside a cartouche and then the date 1911 and 1C. The other side ir is Marked BAG for the Guard Bekleidigungs Amt. Any help appreciate. Sadly couldn'VAV 1.pngt get the photos to load up.

long shot, but Jeff Nolls Book of Imperial German markings has the following:

V.A. Trials Detachment (Navel)

V.V. Trials Detachment attached to Traffic Section

Something to do with that?

James

randy trawnik said:
This is an idea. This one really stumps me. It kills me to have a mark that I have a mark that I cannot figure out.

Hi Randy,

As suggested above, VAV stands for Versuchs Abteilung den Verkehrstruppen, which became a little later KB (Kraftfahr Bataillon). All troops involved in truck, automobile driving/traffic. Those you see on period pictures with big goggles on their Muetze or spike helmet...
I found the same helmet three months ago, totally out of the woodwork in NE Los Angeles. The helmet is in great condition but needs a little cleaning and restitching. As you can see below, VAV has been crossed, and replaced with KB.
There is no doubt about your helmet, an excellent and rather rare item.

L1020593.jpg

Hmmmm...Bruno you have had that helmet for several months now, time to send it to me for a quick restitch! :D

Back