Guarde EM help with identification

charly239

Dear friends

pls help me to id my guarde Helmet

Is this an 1885 Model?

i know chinstrap and kokardes are replaced

Thank you tom

What's stamped on the neck guard? Are you able to remove the plate and photo the back of it? The reason I wonder, is it could be camera angle, but was the crown soldered back on? Just off the cuff and probably wrong, Garde Infantry? Take a look at Kaiser's Bunker to find out if they had parade plumes. I can't remember off hand, but I'm thinking black?

:D Ron

Hi ron

you are right ...the crown was repaired
pls have a look at the pics..the stamp is nearly unreadable...something between FAR or GAR...
i read tat sometime crowns were removed in the Weimar Time and later repaired
parade plums are right for the Guard
pls tell me which model is the haube
Tom

The eagle attached with screws and rear spine without aerator suggest a 1891 model. The lower fixation of the spine on the rear visor is not conventional though.
You should send higher magnification pictures of the markings.

Thanks for the additional photos. It also looks as if somebody repainted the shell of the helmet at some point, which if it wasn't a paint or laquer that 'agreed' with the factory finish could cause problems in the future, but looks like it's holding up okay so far.

Yes, crowns could have been cut off, or even broken during cleaning. From what I've heard, the stamping could get thin in that area. I have a Bavarian with a repaired crown and a Prussian metalhelm that is missing the entire head! "Forget the crown, behead that bird!" Well, interesting historically at least, and it was a nice plate too!

Thank you for your replys.. Its a 1880 Model with a repaired Crown, correct?. Collectable or sell it?
Regards tom

charly239 said:
Thank you for your replys.. Its a 1880 Model with a repaired Crown, correct?. Collectable or sell it?
Regards tom

Well, they're all collectable, it's up to you if you sell or not. Being a collector, rather than a dealer, I've only ever sold one Pickelhaube and I bought it back about twenty years later, so I'm no help. I like all of my 'spikes', even the ugly ones.

Back