Guards enlisted men Pickelhaube

awozny1965

I bought this helmet two weeks ago on ebay and I am somewhat torn between being happy and being disappointed.
One issue I have is that the Wappen is only affixed through one hole while the other hook is missing hence the Wappen is not firmly attached.
Secondly the liner seems to be a replacement as I have never seen one like it before.
Third, the cockades and chin strip; not sure if they are original or replacements.
Last but not least the wappen is almost black rather than its original color? Should I get this cleaned or leave in the current condition

Any answer are greatly appreciated.

I am looking for someone who can repair / clean the helmet and restore it to its original glory. Do you guys have any referrals?

Attachments

• Guard.jpg
    Guard.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Guard1.jpg
    Guard1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Guard2.jpg
    Guard2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Guard3.jpg
    Guard3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Guard4.jpg
    Guard4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 48
It looks like it is one of those old helmets that someone took apart years ago .
The metal plate under the spike base goes on the inside of the helmet .
As far as any work that you need done , Brian Loree is the man for that .
Steve

The helmet is missing the front visor trim. Liner looks original to me but the end shd be stitched.
Look at the rear visor to check for marking. Usually have KBAG.
As for the wappen, if the patina matches the rest of the helmet,i wouldn't clean it.

The helmet is missing the front visor trim. Liner looks original to me but the end shd be stitched.
Look at the rear visor to check for marking. Usually have KBAG.
As for the wappen, if the patina matches the rest of the helmet,i wouldn't clean it.
Thanks for your response. The helmet has the front visor trim (see attached photos). I don't see the KBAG but a name, city and year printed inside the helmet. I also see what looks like the owner's name and the regiment he belonged to. The Pickelhaube smelt strongly like tobacco smoke which luckily has faded away quite a bit over the last two weeks. The smoke might explain why the front visor trim and Wappen are so dark.

Attachments

• enlisted.jpg
    enlisted.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 22
  • enlisted1.jpg
    enlisted1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 22
  • enlisted2.jpg
    enlisted2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 21
  • enlisted3.jpg
    enlisted3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 20
In your first picture, it seems marked ER2, which means Eisenbahn Regiment 2.
I have one like it, but marked ER3. Eisenbahn regiments wore the Guard wappen.
Check this topic of my example, you might get some more info there from other members which they posted there.

Regards, Coert.

Thanks Coert,

your liner looks like mine which makes me feel good. I wish my Wappen would be like yours but maybe it can be carefully cleaned up a little.
I read the other thread and looked at the stamp again, it looks like and E, hence ER2 as you suggested.
Andreas

Andreas, your liner is perfectly fine. I have several M15's with liners just like it. Also some early ones, which still have the black liner though.
But, as yours is dated 1915 it is just fine. Some have the black liner, and others the clear one.
I think if you gently clean the nicotine from it, it should clean up better. But you should remember, there are lots of shades of gray, regarding M15's. Some are light, like my ER3 helmet, and some are darker, they came in different shades of gray.
Here some of my M15's.

Attachments

• 20210816_160232_resized.jpg
    20210816_160232_resized.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 22
Andreas, your liner is perfectly fine. I have several M15's with liners just like it. Also some early ones, which still have the black liner though.
But, as yours is dated 1915 it is just fine. Some have the black liner, and others the clear one.
I think if you gently clean the nicotine from it, it should clean up better. But you should remember, there are lots of shades of gray, regarding M15's. Some are light, like my ER3 helmet, and some are darker, they came in different shades of gray.
Here some of my M15's.
thanks for the reply and the picture. Impressive collection!

I also see what I think is a Kammer for an Eisenbahn unit .I was not sure if it is E R 2 or E B 2 ?
Some of the Eisenbahn units were not full regiments .Coert is correct about the Prussian Garde muster
for their helmets and Waffenrocks .I have a pre war silver trim e m helmet for an Eisenbahn unit .
IMO a nice helmet .Steve

I also see what I think is a Kammer for an Eisenbahn unit .I was not sure if it is E R 2 or E B 2 ?
Some of the Eisenbahn units were not full regiments .Coert is correct about the Prussian Garde muster
for their helmets and Waffenrocks .I have a pre war silver trim e m helmet for an Eisenbahn unit .
IMO a nice helmet .Steve
IMO a nice helmet .Steve
Thanks Steve, appreciate the response and explanation.

Nice helmet Andreas and to my eyes, totally correct. For some reason perhaps because of chemical shortages, most of the M15 liners are not dyed black. The maker Julius Jansen is well known to most of us, nice to have a sharp clear example of his makers stamp. We have compiled a list of manufacturers here on the forum as well as a list of original Regimental stamps found on members helmets. These should be in the pickelhaube discussion area. As to cleaning the wappen, try warm water, Dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush.

Nice helmet Andreas and to my eyes, totally correct. For some reason perhaps because of chemical shortages, most of the M15 liners are not dyed black. The maker Julius Jansen is well known to most of us, nice to have a sharp clear example of his makers stamp. We have compiled a list of manufacturers here on the forum as well as a list of original Regimental stamps found on members helmets. These should be in the pickelhaube discussion area. As to cleaning the wappen, try warm water, Dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush.
Thanks,
the helmet needs a little repair, one of the rings holding the Wappen is place is missing, is this something you would do? If so I'd greatly appreciate it.
Andreas

Does the solder for the missing loop line up with the grommet hole in the helmet? If so, then that's good. As a matter of fact, if you look at the 'pyramid of helmets' in New York post WWI, you'll see a very similar helmet with one loop detached.

Ron

Back