Guards Officer ...with Name

Stu2067

http://cgi.ebay.com/IMPERIAL-GERMAN-GUARDS-OFFICER-PICKELHAUBE-NAMED_W0QQitemZ190021078056QQihZ009QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem :?

Love to see more pictures. Lots of bidding. SOunds like there are some problems and I wouldn't doubt that the price goes up a lot.

Looks fine a moi. There is no mention of extra holes behind the wappen. But I would certainly want to see pics of the helme sans wappen and the reverse side of the wappen as well. One has to cover all the angles on these ebay purchases!! Brian

THE GERMAN OFFICER EVEN PUT HIS NAME IN IT J.J. ROTH .
One recurring comment has to be to question the name. If you get the medal guys to validate that such a mean existed in such a Regiment. Then indeed you have something more desirable. Marking private purchase helmets was not common but I have a Bavarian with the owner's name in it. However, there is a reasonable chance that Mr. Roth was not the German officer but one of the previous owners of the helmet. Maybe even a collector. Perhaps Glenn can take a look at this guy's name and guard regiments and see if they match at all.

Didn't the owners of the fine-quality, private purchase helmets usually indicate their ownership with a label or other appropriate marking? The handwriting on this one doesn't look like typical German handwriting of the period, IMOH. It's probably the name of the US soldier who "liberated" this during WWI.

joerookery said:
THE GERMAN OFFICER EVEN PUT HIS NAME IN IT J.J. ROTH .
One recurring comment has to be to question the name. If you get the medal guys to validate that such a mean existed in such a Regiment. Then indeed you have something more desirable. Marking private purchase helmets was not common but I have a Bavarian with the owner's name in it. However, there is a reasonable chance that Mr. Roth was not the German officer but one of the previous owners of the helmet. Maybe even a collector. Perhaps Glenn can take a look at this guy's name and guard regiments and see if they match at all.

Didn't the owners of the fine-quality, private purchase helmets usually indicate their ownership with a label or other appropriate marking?
They certainly could. I have seen a lot of monogram's in the liner. You could also have your name placed in a helmet for a nominal fee. (Robinson book page 102) however, I have this Bavarian helmet that is marked all over the place. Many of the markings are visible at:
http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/BavarianM15.htm

I would tend to agree with you. I am not so sure this is the German officer.

frontvisor.jpg

Fg42 underwent a "name change" recently and is now "08/15" on this Forum. When I get the helmet and inspect it, I'll let folks know what the back of the Wappen looks like, and other details, if people are interested.

Gustaf said:
Hey Mark Fg42 got it. Gus

No, I saw it as soon as it was listed on eBay. Being a beginner in this hobby, I search the eBay listings every day for basic helmets that I can possibly afford -- Weitze and those folks are way beyond my reach!

Stu2067 said:
Did you see it here first on the post I made?

Or were you eyeballing it earlier? :)

Back