Gun show find last summer: nice field cover with helmet

ww1czechlegion

Hello,

I went to visit a friend and see his collection last summer, and we went to a gun show during dealer set up where I found this helmet with a numbered Prussian 174th Regiment cover with it. I can't say that they came together originally, but that is the way the dealer had them for sale, as one price.

The M15 Prussian has an original chinstrap & kokardes. It is an arsenal rework, with the "F" marking indicating that it has been repaired and is ready for Field Use.

The helmet needs a little work: one of the front plate wire attachment loops needs to be re-soldered to the back side. Thankfully it was still in the metal grommet ring with the leather wedge in place and did not get lost over the years. The back spine also has a set of bent pins that needs to be re-soldered to the back side of the back spine, as seen in my photos.

This is the first time that I have seen a cover with the stitching line running across the cloth along the bottom of the numbers.

Best Regards,

Alan

101_1558.JPG

101_1559.JPG

101_1560.JPG

101_1561.JPG

Excellent cover !
I already seen covers with the stitching line running across all the numbers, but in the inner of the cover

aicusv said:
Nice find, IR 174 was in Army Corps XXI

Wonderful, Alan! All is correct and is matching together.

The JR174 was indeed in the XXI AK but this unit together with the JR70 and the PB27 got their equipments from the BA VIII.

Philippe
:wink:

Back