Halstuch vs Halsbinde

Kelley

In my book Die Deutsche Armee, it says, "Zur Felduniform bie der Waffenroeken mit Klappkragen ein Halstuch aus grauen Baumwollenstoff und bei den Waffenroecken usw. mit Stehkragen ein Halsbinde aus feldgrauem, baumwollenem Lasting angelegt."
So this is telling me that if you had the stand and fall collar you wore the neckscarf, and if you had standing collars you hand the neck stock.

I believe later that the neck stock was issued to everyone, but, in the early days the guys with the stand and fall collar was issued the scarves. I have seen pictures of the scarves online, even together with neck stocks and both had labels that of the same owners.

I do own some repro grey neck stocks I used for reenacting, I do not believe they are made correctly as the band is strait and not curved, so the fit is horribly uncomfortable.

I am thinking a neck scarf would be way more comfortable. I do not, however have the dimensions for them, and was wondering if anyone had an original, and could give me the dimensions?

I am also wondering if they were always exactly the same size? If I am lucky I could just get one off the shelf at any girly-girl shop in Europe.

How to properly
wear one, will be the next question.

Kelley,

I have a Halstuch M1907 that is marked to IR92. The Halsbinde M1909, became the pattern for the Einheitshalsbinde M1914. The only essential difference between the two patterns of Halsbinden was that the Einheits model included long tape ties added to the ends.

The Halstuch came in two sizes. Both were 95cm long. Size I was 25cm wide and Size II was 32cm wide. It was made from field gray cotton (Köper-Croise). It was folded three or four times and then "knotted" in the front.

Chip

Hi Kelley,
It looks like I lost a cm in my measurements :D
I found a postcard where a fellow wears Halstuch, at least I think so.
Have a look for guy on right.
DSC_0799.JPG

Regards,
Milosz

Back