Handbook of Imperial Germany

joerookery

One of the items that got lost in the hack down was the announcement of this book. While we will lose money on this it has been great fun and has led to all sorts of contacts! What is below is some selfish plug information.
Some members of the forum have received their copies and can give you their opinions.

If any of you collectors or historians are interested...This book is selling rather rapidly A number of people have been very kind in their words awaiting this release. The book is 8.25" x 11" and weighs 1 lb. 13 oz. There is a great deal of data jammed in there for $25. If you are interested in World War I. This is a must-have resource -- if you are interested in World War II you need this background. I have included some sample pages. The bibliography alone is six pages. We have been overwhelmed with praise. Get yours now cheaper than the bookstores without waiting.

The purpose of this book is to provide a one-volume resource for collectors and historians with an Imperial German army interest. The more we researched, the more we found there were more stories, myths and misunderstandings about Imperial Germany than there were facts. Different authors addressed different aspects: collectors, historians and educators all had their own area of expertise, but there was no readily available resource to give a general overview of Imperial Germany. Though it is convenient to call it "Germany," at the start of the First World War, there was still no united Germany, no German army, and no German officer corps. At 333 pages with 183 pictures and over 670 footnotes, this is an attempt to explain the intricacies of how the country worked -- militarily, politically, and socially.

“I must say the 'Handbook' is a pretty impressive piece of work and one that has been long needed. Its approach - background, politics and then the army - works well. I thought I had a bit of a handle on 'the German Army' - I know now that this is an inaccurate title - and I now know how poor a handle I had. Full of fascinating and important facts and detail. No index sadly - big mistake. My copy, ordered Wednesday, arrived Friday. Hard, actually impossible, not to recommend the book highly. I am hoping to do a review for Stand To, something I only rarely do for books I have actually paid for!!”

You can find the book on eBay. Just search the title or from the publisher for $25
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=60521

cover2_800.jpg

samplepage3.jpg

samplepage1.jpg

I received my copy today, so I just had not enough time to actually read it, but it was immediately clear that this is a resource that a seriuos collector doesn't want to miss... Terrific job you did there Joe, it's absolutely a valueable piece of work!

Adler 1

Anyone who tried to study more detailed information about the Imperial German Army, knows how complex it is to understand the organization of the German Army and how dispersed the information is. This handbook, which is written in a accessible style, explains the intricacies of how the “federal” Empire worked. Chapter 1 starts at the conception of Imperial Germany at the end of the Austrian-Prussian War of 1866 and the social, governmental and political structures in Imperial Germany after 1871. Chapter 2 explains in methodical subchapters the position of all these individual states within the Empire. The authors also tell us some entertaining gossip anecdotes of all these courts and noble houses. Chapter 3 explains anything, you always wanted to know, about the complex organisation of the Imperial German Army and the career from a soldier to an officer. The last chapter explains the war years. Even the Appendixes at the end of the book are an interesting pleasure to read.
The handbook contains any information, you always wanted to know, in just one book. If you are a collector of German militaria, I imagine, that this book helps you to understand better your collectibles.
I for one will often consult again the handbook, as there is too much information to find to fit in a normal human’s memory like mine.
Do I now know all about Imperial Germany? I have read the book hardly without pause, and I will for sure have forgotten some of the many facts. But now I know at least, where I can easily look up all this reliable, clear and detailed information about complex Imperial Germany.
If you are interested in World War I and the Imperial German Army the Robinson’s Handbook is a must-have in your library.

To the authors I lift respectfully my hat: “Chapeau !”, and thanks, Janet and Joe, for the great effort of composing this impressive work.

Dear Collectors,

Last week I received the Joe's new book about Imperial Germany. As I check the reactions, the book is already a best-seller in Belgium and Holland. It should be a best-seller in the US and other countries too. It's absolutely worth to check the book, to gain more knowledge about the Pickelhaube era. With some inside information, collecting Imperial militaria is one level deeper than just putting old stuff at a shelf.

Im my opinion, it's a must have.

regards from Holland,

Ad

The unpleasant thing with this book is that it makes you realize you knew almost nothing...
I had ordered a booklet; I received a bible. Really impressive. Highest-level erudition in the field.
Warmest congratulations to Joe and his co-author.
Bruno

911car said:
The unpleasant thing with this book is that it makes you realize you knew almost nothing...
I had ordered a booklet; I received a bible. Really impressive. Highest-level erudition in the field.
Warmest congratulations to Joe and his co-author.
Bruno
Isn't that the truth

Joe, gave your book a plug over at Landships where I mentioned I bought my copy from you via ebay.

Hopefully you're still offering this service :lol:

Oopps I'll list some more. Lately we've been scheduling lectures and talks. just need to get up my dead rear and put up a listing!

Saw that and thank you! I think you will be sadly disappointed because there are no zombies. I really wanted to put zombies in the book but could find no pictures.

We will send out your autographed copy probably tomorrow morning. God bless.

Zombies? The dead returning to life at the end of the Great War. From the wonderful "J'accuse" by Abel Gance (1919)
jaccuse_img_0.jpg

Photographic evidence! Gus I told you zombies were real. Bruno this is simply outstanding. An entirely new area of research.

Have you seen this movie Joe? If not, it's a must-watch. The final scene where the dead stand up and walk on the battlefield (which was shot in the south of France with 2000 actual veterans) is a piece of anthology.

I have not seen this movie. I will turn it over to my son and see if we can find one with English subtitles. My French is horrible. Well worse than that.

Yes, but is French silence the same as English silence, Hey Joe, I never doubted that there were zombies, I have worked with a few.

Pierre,

I want to read more but your link just goes to the picture. Could you check the link please? Do you have any close-ups of the faces? I have never seen this before.

Back