Hannoveran EM Bandeau and M91's

Were the Honour ribbons like 'La Belle Alliance' etc always part of the stamping on EM issue plates or occasionally 2 piece like the Officer ones?

Also I read an interesting thread on Tony's site about M91 strap and scale fittings - 3mm. v 1.5mm gauges. I did'nt realise there was a difference! This explains a few things with a couple of helmets I have. I have a Wurttemburg OYV [I think!! I darent say NCO.] and a normal 1.5 strap fitting rattles like hell and drops off all the time. I'd not noticed until now that it's bang on 3mm. - Gormless or what? So does this mean it would originally have sported a pair of M91 type chinscales? It came without strap or scales but I'm waiting on an original pair to arrive this week. Of course it'll look 'the business' with 'scales. :lol:

PS. Thanks Tony!

spikeymikey said:
Were the Honour ribbons like 'La Belle Alliance' etc always part of the stamping on EM issue plates or occasionally 2 piece like the Officer ones?// I have a Wurttemburg OYV [I think!! I darent say NCO.] and a normal 1.5 strap fitting rattles like hell and drops off all the time.

In my opinion, to the bandeau issue, I would say....... both! I believe (based on nothing but seeing examples) that for larger units, say FR73 with a full Regt to outfit and maintain, Wappen were stamped with the Bandeau complete.

FR73b.jpg

FR73d.jpg

But for tiny units, like the one Chas posted this week of the rare 2nd Reit. Battery of FAR10, why make an expensive press to make a Wappen for a small unit? So on his, you could see that it was the standard 1st battery of FAR2 or 6th battery of FAR3 chicken, with the COLBERG 1807 Bandeau (which is an integral part of the stamping) with a seperate Bandeau soldered on top (readily available for officers and private purchase). This would be much cheaper than making an expensive pattern for a small unit.

Here is the link to Chas's Haube>> http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498

As to your OYV.........why do you think it is for that specific rank? Hmm? :wink:

The wobbly chin straps used to drive me nuts too. Tony was the first person to show me that there was a difference at all. Amy and I went a little farther at first.
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/chinstraps.htm
We sort of shifted gears. The only Hanover bandeau that I have is for an officer wappen.
handback.jpg

nackdetail.jpg

Hi Joe,

In your article, it is hard to judge the thickness of the chinstrap anchors on the officer's M15. Are they 3 mm. or 1 mm.?

Thanks,

Laurie

Laurie,
None of the above. The system covered the entire post so it is determined by the length of the post.

Thanks for all this stuff fellas - always more than I bargain for!
Tony, I think that this particular Wurttemburg helmet is either OYV or, gulp, NCO, because it is private purchase [Awes Marke] w/Officer type liner but with plain visor facings, thin gilt visor trim, rounded front visor, plain rear spine, a fine frosted plate w/pierced crown and a tall Fahnrich type spike without the perlring on a roundbase.[The spike unscrews too { Rgt.120 or Train?} and it has 'Lange' handwritten on the inside and elsewhere '1908']. I'll try to post a pic sometime.
Joe, I'll check that article for sure.

On the Hannoveran, Bowman reckons the early ones may have been add on's for EM and Officers because when the honour scroll was instigated production was'nt geared up for it. Sounds logical - but it is from Mr. Bowman. :roll:

Back