Haube for sale on Ebay-fr

aterrasse

Dear All,

My knowledge in the field is still limited so I thought I would seek your expert opinion on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/CASQUE-A-POINTE-RESERVISTE-LIPPE-DETMOLD_W0QQitemZ190175322896QQihZ009QQcategoryZ79243QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

Alex,

One-piece of advice you will hear over and over again from members of this forum is to evaluate the piece -- not the write-up. In the description the author talks about the reserve battalion of the infantry Regiment. That is not how it worked --

So if you disregard the description and concentrate on the helmet you will discover whether it is good or bad. This allegedly is a helmet with a Landwehr cross from the small principality of Lippe-Detmold. There is a Landwehr cross, a Prussian type Wappen, a very different cockade. It is marked to infantry Regiment 15. It is also marked to VII corps.

Using this information and perhaps other information that you have drawn from the pictures what do you surmise? The starting point Socratic question would be what unit came from Lippe?

I am just trying to make you follow the same logic trail that others follow - sort of a Socratic teaching method - if I'm being obstinate let me know -- it is not my intent.

joerookery said:
Alex,

One-piece of advice you will hear over and over again from members of this forum is to evaluate the piece -- not the write-up. In the description the author talks about the reserve battalion of the infantry Regiment. That is not how it worked --

So if you disregard the description and concentrate on the helmet you will discover whether it is good or bad. This allegedly is a helmet with a Landwehr cross from the small principality of Lippe-Detmold. There is a Landwehr cross, a Prussian type Wappen, a very different cockade. It is marked to infantry Regiment 15. It is also marked to VII corps.

Using this information and perhaps other information that you have drawn from the pictures what do you surmise? The starting point Socratic question would be what unit came from Lippe?

I am just trying to make you follow the same logic trail that others follow - sort of a Socratic teaching method - if I'm being obstinate let me know -- it is not my intent.

Joe, I agree, it is time I get the thinking process right!!

Available litterature is still limited but on its way to me. Give me a day or two and you will have my "draft" response (...like being back to school! :p )

my "draft" response (...like being back to school!

Thanks for adding such a positive attitude! All of this is research and supposition. The only person you need to satisfy is you. Until you can drill down deeper, unanswered questions will always bother the back of your mind. I don't know if you ever get to the end but it sure is fun looking.

One more word of wisdom -- collectors are often wrong. They do the best that they can at the time but sometimes make mistakes -- bad calls -- not intentionally wrong but often deeply held beliefs. You must decide for yourself. Isn't it fun having the bug?! It seems as though I cannot get enough research and things I thought were once correct have changed. This is such a wonderful field

leo_lippe.jpg

Back