Hauben of the different states: How rare is rare

JustinG

Greetings,
I am curious.... As a new collector, it seems like there are different states and their wappen and helmets can fetch a much higher price. For example a Mecklenburg 'haube can have a higher asking price than for a Baden helmet? Is this due to the fewer number of troops/units? I have seen some helmets in much poorer condition and they are asking a huge price vs say a very nice version in great shape for a more "common" pickelhaube. I have stated that for naval tally collectors (Mützenband) they collect the more rare, less known, and fewer people assigned to tallies which, naturally, don't come to market often. However, there are tallies that I could share with this forum and everyone would look at it and just shrug their shoulders thinking: "Ok, It is just another black silk band with stitched block lettering." Never realizing that this was the holy grail of Mützenband) I am having a feeling that this the case for Pickelhauben and Tschako? Is the front plate and the unit the key? When I look at sellers, I am curious as to why they feel that there is a huge mark up for their items.
It seems like $1400-$2400 is a range that dealers are asking for. What are the features that make something pushes an item up to a level that in our community, warrants that price increase? I realize that this is a personal choice. Suum Cuique (to each their own) I would love to hear and get better educated.
Thanks,
JustinG

Justin you are correct in your comparison of rare cap tallies to helmets. The price is set by rarity so helmets from the smaller states which only fielded one Regiment or one battalion are more rare and thus more expensive. Condition is another factor but most collectors would still rather have a rare helmet with some problems than not have an example in their collection. The Prussian helmets are the most common as they had the largest presence in the Imperial Army, Bavaria came second. Getting back to your comparison…fewer Mecklenburg regiments so the price is much higher than a Baden pickelhaube. Another factor is the helmet plate, many were only worn by one or a few regiments so again there are fewer pieces on the market for sale. An example of these are those regiments which were given Napoleonic battle honours on their plates because they fought with the British against Napoleon. Cavalry helmets especially officers, command higher prices and older cavalry models also sell for more cash. So in summary, rarity is the key to price and then condition, in my opinion.

Justin you are correct in your comparison of rare cap tallies to helmets. The price is set by rarity so helmets from the smaller states which only fielded one Regiment or one battalion are more rare and thus more expensive. Condition is another factor but most collectors would still rather have a rare helmet with some problems than not have an example in their collection. The Prussian helmets are the most common as they had the largest presence in the Imperial Army, Bavaria came second. Getting back to your comparison…fewer Mecklenburg regiments so the price is much higher than a Baden pickelhaube. Another factor is the helmet plate, many were only worn by one or a few regiments so again there are fewer pieces on the market for sale. An example of these are those regiments which were given Napoleonic battle honours on their plates because they fought with the British against Napoleon. Cavalry helmets especially officers, command higher prices and older cavalry models also sell for more cash. So in summary, rarity is the key to price and then condition, in my opinion.

Great post the only thing I would add is the mentioning of the importance of markings/stampings.

Having a helmet with a rare plate is wonderful having a helmet with the markings/stampings to prove they belong together takes it to the next level and would warrant an even higher price.

Just like any collectable rarity and condition will always drive the price, and just like any collector trying to build a collection the learning of exactly what makes something rare is part of the fun.

Great post the only thing I would add is the mentioning of the importance of markings/stampings.

Having a helmet with a rare plate is wonderful having a helmet with the markings/stampings to prove they belong together takes it to the next level and would warrant an even higher price.

Just like any collectable rarity and condition will always drive the price, and just like any collector trying to build a collection the learning of exactly what makes something rare is part of the fun.
IMO here is a classic example
Just a plain old Prussian enlisted man's helmet at first look
However inside we see the Kammer stamp K.I.R. 145
a regiment that I happen to like
this is before they got the new winged helmet plate
dated 1906
this is more important to me than just a normal Prussian helmet
SteveKIR 145  1906.JPGKIR 145 1906 Kammer.JPG

Is there a general price rule with say: Infantry (Spike) Vs Artillery (Ball)? One commands typically more vs the other? Is there a safe generalization with regard to different states pickelhaube and the costs now for obtaining a model?
Thanks,
JustinG

Two simple questions which lead to complex answers. There were far more infantry regiments than artillery so there’s the rarity factor first off in your example. Next, is it Prussian which makes it more common? Is it complete? If enlisted , is it well marked and do the fittings match these? Many EM helmets are missing their cockades and chin straps… most collectors will pay more for a complete helmet. The price you pay may also be effected by where you live and the value of your currency. The European dealers come to the large US shows to buy because their money is worth more. They buy in $US and sell for a higher price in Euros. We won’t even talk about my $CN 😕 So, it is very hard to provide any generalizations on prices. The most common and cheapest EM helmet is the Prussian M15 and if complete with all original parts approx. $700US. Remember, if the original chin strap is present, that’s $300 alone. The most common officer helmet is the Prussian Infantry which usually run $900 - $1,200 US depending on condition. Others here may disagree with these numbers and that is totally fine. In the end, the best thing a new helmet collector can do is to join a forum like this and post photos of a helmet you are looking to buy and ask for advice. We have done this hundreds of times here and saved collectors thousands $$.

That is great and why these forums and members are so great. To pass on their love of a collecting field. It truly is a system that helps feed interest and will help spread that love and passion on collecting and such on to others. Get them "hooked". 😉.
I greatly appreciate the help I have received here so far from the membership.
Best Regards,
JustinG

James Turinetti wrote a „Buyers Guide“ for Pickelhauben collectors. Unfortunately the last edition is from 2018-2020, but in these books average prices are given for helmets of many regiments, which he determined by the helmets sold in auctions. Unfortunately no longer up to date, but still a very good guide to estimate prices at all. The book is still available on derrittmeister.com

Another influence is the helmet model. There are M42, M57, M60, M71, M91, M95, M15. As you can see, some helmet models were replaced after a short time, which is why they are also very rare and correspondingly more expensive. With some older helmets you can be happy that you get one at all, the regiment doesn't really matter.

Back