'Haubes around the house.

I'd like to ask: How many of you guys have a designated collection room? Or do you have Pickelhaubes and helmets in a cabinet in the living room for instance, or maybe stored out of sight in an armoire perhaps? How does it work for you? And what do your wives feel about it if you have them around the house, on shelves etc. Like this, a couple of shots of my work area or 'Studio' end of our living room:

Hébergé par Imagesia, le meilleur hébergeur d'images du net !

Hébergé par Imagesia, le meilleur hébergeur d'images du net !

a designated collection room

I have one . Lucky back in the 1980's my wife
said to me ; I don't mind you collecting ,
BUT I really don't want the collection all over the house .
She then added ; If you will have a room added to the house
for your collection , I will pay for 1/2 of it .
So I got that project started right away .
I had a 26 ' X 40' room with vaulted ceiling added .
Then custom cabinets along the walls for the helmets .

Steve

Hello, I have two display cabinets in the livingroom,and a spare-room upstairs where I keep my other stuff,my girlfriend is okay with the 2 display-cabinets,but doesn't want the whole room looking like a WW1 museum, [-X

By the way,I looked at your paintings,there very,very nice! Greetings,Coert. :)

Most of my stuff right now is packed away in boxes. Over the recent years I've had to compress 3 households (with the passing of parents and in-laws) into one. On top of which my wife decided we needed to remodel much of the inside of the house.

I have both a collection room and some in the living room on two shelves. When I started dating a few years after my divorce, I had a woman over who said simply, "What's all of that garbage?" The date ended right then and there. My current awesome wife came over and saw the helmets, said they were 'cool' and began asking questions. Our first time traveling together was to Fort Knox's Patton Museum where I was to instruct driving on the M60A3. She thought the tank was too big, then tried on a WWII M5 Half Track for size. With her at the wheel, she and the other 'students' left the driving course for some cross country driving and she showed up a half hour later after having driven the thing around all over the place. We were married the following April and she's been the perfect wife / best friend since. We've crewed Stuart and Sherman tanks together, she's also driven a half track for the July 4th re-enactment at the museum (an M3 this time).
I DID have a spree of buying for a while and after my last helmet, she let me know that she thought we'd spent enough money for a while. She was, of course, right.

Here's a link to my hobby room post:
http://pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D Ron

I am allowed jut one wall in the house .

But I do have a 16x30 foot 2 story hobby studio shed in the back of the house .

:D

Got a 30m2 room, I am intending to arrange.
So what you see now is a temporary display.
And yes temporary, can be defenetly; because the house is new to us, and there is a hawfull lot to do.

My wife didn't want my collection to take over the house, so I only have it in my home office, the den and most of the basement - so I pretty much took over the house.

My collection is tolerated in the living room by the missus although the house should not become a WW1 museum :D

Best regards,

Edwin

We just moved house and I now have a "studio" in the new house, 3.5 x 3.5 m, still a big mess but finally a wall-filling bookcase with space for all my books and two Ikea glass cabinets with my Pickelhauben and some militaria. Quite happy with that, but I won't hold my breath until she buys me a Stirnpanzer or Pickelhaube; that is not going to happen :wink:

Lars

Ron ;
I checked out your displays .
Very nice .
Every time that I spot a Grenadier helmet
I always ask about them
I really like them .
Is your helmet marked to a regiment ?
Thanks
Steve

KAGGR#1 said:
Ron ;
I checked out your displays .
Very nice .
Every time that I spot a Grenadier helmet
I always ask about them
I really like them .
Is your helmet marked to a regiment ?
Thanks
Steve

Steve, the leather in this helmet is very dark inside, so I can't read any markings other than a '6' stamped into the inner support disk. Other than that, I really have no actual idea. It's also dated 1909 and has holes from the earlier plate blanked over properly before going to the Grenadier eagle in 1912. So, with that little bit of info, I would say it's most likely from the 6th.

I used to have a designated collection room when my wife and I had a large 3 bedroom apartment. Since moving back to Australia and now being in a small, 2 bedroom apartment, my collection is sadly stored in boxes...

In better times:

Glenn, I can't tell you how many years much of my collection was in boxes. There was graduate school, then moving around, then moving some more, then moving after my wife divorced me (she didn't like my idea of monogamy), moving again and finally into our house where it took three or four years before it came out of boxes again. Some uniforms are stored in boxes and rotated onto display, but most will be going on the ebay block when I retire, since I've lost my interest in most of my non-German / US collection.... and it will be time to 'de-junk' the house in anticipation of moving some day.

I too had items in boxes. I lived in a one bedroom apartment in NYC, then moved to a three bedroom apartment. Finally I have a house in Michigan so as I noted I have my home office (a decent sized bedroom), the den and nearly three quarters of the basement. My wife has drawn the line at this point.

It is a crying shame to have a nice collection all boxed up. Luckily I have multiple photos of every piece in my collection so somedays I just click through the photo files and reminisce...

I have converted an upper bedroom in my house to the so called "collection room". The helmets are on acrylic shelves mounted to the walls. I also have chest of drawers filled with wappen, shoulder straps etc. I will post pictures in a short time. Prior to this, I had a complete room 12X14 ft built in the basement with all kinds of storage and display. However, that house was sold in the last divorce.

Back