Hello from Brugge (Bruges) Belgium.

marty

Dear All,
finally made it!
Promised Brain some (long) time to introduce myself on this great forum.
I'm a non active collector, was lucky to swop or trade pickelhaubes during the eighties.
This resulted in a small collection (still in the flesh) of non officier pickelhaubes and some 'wappen'.
Still have a wide interest in WW1 and especially in America and WW1.
Plse find some pics from a decade ago and yes as usual:
pictures will follows.
unquote :)

Attachments

• TwentyYearsAfter.jpg.JPG
    TwentyYearsAfter.jpg.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 65
  • allegaartje 064.jpg
    allegaartje 064.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Hi Marty,
Yes, welcome aboard. It looks like your German headgear collection is quite nice. You mentioned collecting American WWI items do you have anything you would like to show us?
Best regards
John

Thank you all for your welcome.

@ JohnS3rd: sorry for my belated reponse but I have to disappoint You, perhaps my introduction wasn’t so clear
as I have no American WO1 collection (or US-WO2), mainly German en Belgian items.

However, as the First World War is perhaps the major chapter in American history in all areas (home-oversesas-etc.),
it caught my interest long time ago. Paid visit to Michigan Historical Center for the Polar Bear Expedition, Arlington,
Palm Spring Air Museum (some WO1 artifracts), travelled through Northern-France visiting US/WO1 cemetries and monuments.

And yes overhere, we are fully aware about the American warfare during WO2, reading the books, visited the US-battle scenes,
cemetries & museums. Regarding US/WO1… barely is known and available.

‘America and WW1 – a Traveller’s Guide’ written by Marks D. Van Ells is even important to me as 'Helmets.....' by Col. Rankin at the time:).

Bregards,
Marty

Welcome Marty. It is not a surprise the amount of material that is available on the US's entry into WWI. 1 year compared to 4 is a significant difference but can you imagine the consequences if the US had not joined!!!!
Mark

Hello Marty
A nice collection, prior to Covid I worked on the P&O Ferries from UK (Hull) to Zeebrugge. Your town & chocolate are both very nice. I never found anything for my collection but there are some very stunning memorials around Zeebrugge.
Steve

Thank you and correct Mark.
And yes what if, it’s a very debatable item,…how it might been otherwise and this at both sides of the ocean.

-------

Hi Steve, thank you for yr kind words.
What a coincidence, was working at Zeebrugge as well, maritime & logistics all kinds.
Felt very modest to operate on WW1 historical grounds as Zeebrugge was known for his german subs and planes
and the English Raid on 23th April 1918.

--------

Bregards

Marty

Hello Marty, Re 23 April 1918 the memorial to the Royal Marines is superb giving a full account of the raid and those involved. The nearby church had some really interesting memorials to both German & British servicemen. The Lock gates and canal were of interest to me from Zeebrugge to Bruges as the was the route the Flanden Flotilla of Subs/ U boats would take. My grandfather was a Merchant Navy Captain and had two 'incidents' with this Flotilla. Both caused him problems...... Small world isn't it! Regards Steve PS The local beer is very nice also :)

Hi Steve, a small world? Sure it is! More surprising is your link with Zeebrugge.
I'm really anxious to know the story of yr captain grandfather and the Flanders Flotilla (if it's ok for you, by pm or e-mail,tx).
The WW1 history of Zeebrugge/Brugge is well known to me and even until this day interesting.

Fyi., between 1923 until the eighties there was a WO1 museum, not so far from St. George's Day Memorial.
The museum disappeared due to the expansion of the harbour and there was a fine collection of Pickelhaubes which was never seen again.
Thus some rumours are...

And about the local beer(s)? Well, we have to start a new topic, I guess☺️!

Many thanks and regards,
Marty

Hi Steve, a small world? Sure it is! More surprising is your link with Zeebrugge.
I'm really anxious to know the story of yr captain grandfather and the Flanders Flotilla (if it's ok for you, by pm or e-mail,tx).
The WW1 history of Zeebrugge/Brugge is well known to me and even until this day interesting.

Fyi., between 1923 until the eighties there was a WO1 museum, not so far from St. George's Day Memorial.
The museum disappeared due to the expansion of the harbour and there was a fine collection of Pickelhaubes which was never seen again.
Thus some rumours are...

And about the local beer(s)? Well, we have to start a new topic, I guess☺️!

Many thanks and regards,
Marty
Re your last Marty:
email: [email protected]
Regards Steve

Back