Hello

Winston1

Hello Everyone

My name is Nicholas and I am in Houston. I collect British home service helmets and full dress uniforms from 1878-1914. My name on the site is the name of my awesome dog, Winston. I currently have several helmets in my collection and a few uniforms as well. I’m not the most technological person, so I just figured out how to post pictures and will most likely add a few posts under general headgear in addition to the one I just added. I love researching my items to the farthest extent that I can, and won't stop till I find a picture which at least holds some relevance to the item I’m researching. I have a hardcopy of the 1900 dress regulations. I believe I also have the only 2 books which solely focus on Home Service Helmets: “A Guide to the British Home Service Helmet and its Badges” and the booklet “Home Service Helmet 1878-1914.” If anyone knows of any others, please let me know. Nice to meet all of you.

Nicholas

Welcome on the forum Nicholas!
Excellent helmet you have posted just now! :thumb up:
We do not see many of those home-service helmets or uniforms here, but they are beautiful items.

Have fun on the forum,

Greetings, Coert. :)

Thank you, My brother does have a sizable WW1 collection that I will probably post for him. Besides steel helmets, He has 1 pickelhaube at the moment and 2 m1910s.

Hi Nicholas,

Welcome to the forum. I believe you are the bidder who lost out on my 64th Foot. Congratulations on getting the 59th. If it’s any consolation, the 64th went to a retired major from the latest incarnation of the unit who has a huge collection of Staffordshire related items and is also a trustee of the Regimental museum.

I’ve posted photos of a number of my home service helmets in the General Headgear section over the years, but, unfortunately, many of the photos disappeared because of problems the forum experienced. I’ve been thinning out my collection of helmets to focus more on helmet plates and waist belt clasps, but still have about half a dozen home service helmets and the same number of heavy cavalry helmets.

You’ve just about exhausted the list of reference books, but it’s worth getting a copy of Kipling and King, which has just about all the line helmet plates in it and some of the volunteer ones. Back catalogues from auctions like Bosleys and DNW are really good for reference purposes.

If you wish, you can send me a pm with your email address and we can discuss things further.

Cheers

Patrick

Welcome to the board. I only have a limited collection of Brit helmets, I've had to fight for years not o collect them as well as the German and US stuff. Did at one time time had a complete collection Of WWI Brit and Common Wealth cap badges (now long gone).

Winston1 said:
My name is Nicholas and I am in Houston. I collect British home service helmets and full dress uniforms from 1878-1914. My name on the site is the name of my awesome dog, Winston. I currently have several helmets in my collection and a few uniforms as well. I’m not the most technological person, so I just figured out how to post pictures and will most likely add a few posts under general headgear in addition to the one I just added. I love researching my items to the farthest extent that I can, and won't stop till I find a picture which at least holds some relevance to the item I’m researching. I have a hardcopy of the 1900 dress regulations. I believe I also have the only 2 books which solely focus on Home Service Helmets: “A Guide to the British Home Service Helmet and its Badges” and the booklet “Home Service Helmet 1878-1914.” If anyone knows of any others, please let me know. Nice to meet all of you.

Hello, Nicholas--
There is old small pamphlet sized book "Home Service Helmet 1878-1914" that was published in the 1960s. I tracked down a copy and it is a good little resource. My colleague Stuart Bates also wrote a section on the Home Service Helmet in our book "A Gallery of Military Headdress" and I also wrote a section on the original of the Russian and British spiked helmets and the Indo-Persian influence.

I too collect British Home Service Helmets along with tropical headdress - and probably too many other things including swords, small arms, cannons, etc.

Cheers,
Peter

Hello Peter,

I do have a paper copy of your book “A Gallery of Military Headdress” Inaugural edition, Volume 1. The section on Home Service Helmets is really informational and I appreciate how their is a whole section dedicated to the Gloucestershire back badge. I also found your point interesting that most collectors can’t go farther back than the pickelhaube when it comes to the history of the spiked helmet (as I was one of them). I have seen some of your home service helmets and your artists rifles grey cloth is one of my favorites.

Thank you,
Nicholas Smith

Welcome to our forum Nicholas. I live in Canada so we are very familiar with the Brit HS helmets. On rare occasions, they do show up at our militaria shows here.

Back