Helmet assemblers from K.S. Leib Grenadier-Regiment 100

Great picture.
Great pile of Pickelhauben parts.
and...
There is always one man to supervise...
:cool:
Rgds,
Francis

Absolutely fantastic picture! Congratulations on this. A couple of observations/questions.

What are they doing? Are they assembling or disassembling? Look at the short awl like tools in the worker's hands. What are they doing with them? The guy on the left might even have a hammer. Are they converting M 95 to M15?

It looks like they could be popping off the brass fittings and putting on gray colored ones like the helmet on the right?!?! Is there a date?

und sich nicht drückt,

This has to be some sort of ideogram. I do not think it translates directly or does it? And not be suppressed? – absolutely great picture thanks for showing it.

joerookery said:
What are they doing? Are they assembling or disassembling?

Thanks Joe, it's hard to say - construction or de-construction? I'm really not sure. I'll ask Xiphophilos about a correct translation. If he can't nut it out - no-one can.

This has to be some sort of ideogram.
It's just a humorous poem, sort of: Who knows work and does not cop out is crazy.

Great picture! There are several extra brass spikes and parts at front, so maybe they exchanged these parts for M15 style? The helmets at the rear look bogged down, dented and missing the front brim.

Seems like the fellow at the right is holding a file!
That is a tool one usely uses to "adapt", so I would say... he.... is in "construction"!
And about the parole, I would translate in a way like; "knowing what is going on, we are better of here"; meaning they are the "lucky ones"not having to do the real hard work! So they do not have to participate to any hard or dangerous activity theyre colleagues are in to!
cheers
|<ris

Exceptional foto! We rarely get a glimpse into the 19thC pickelhaube world....it was just another piece of gear.

Back