Helmet Covers

Chip Minx

Just sold on ebay last week, I believe, a very nice issue helmet cover (6612666218) with red numbers "99" on the front, ink marked nicely inside to the same unit and including a soldier's personal Etikett, also unit marked. With a few small fray spots, the condition was generally good. It sold for $850. Has the world gone insane or am I just behind the times? Can this be the going price? I have seen a lot of crazy prices in the past few years, but for some reason, this one really floored me. Say it ain't so!

:eek:

Chip

I agree with you both, I don't know what people are thinking lately, I saw some one pay over $700.00 recently for a POSTCARD! Look at the prices people are paying on beat up M15's, I guess I just don't get it.

:?

I was watching that auction on the 99 cover. Most of the normal collectors quit bidding around $350 to$400. There where to bidders that went nuts on it and bid it up. Their user names where not familar??

James

Chip Minx said:
It sold for $850. Has the world gone insane or am I just behind the times? Can this be the going price?

I would say the average price is about $350. If you look at the bidders list, you will see that a few people who wanted it bad and were clearly willing to pay anything, and cranked it up. Everyone else (including me by the way) dropped out at the $400 mark. This was also an auction house, so the actual price with the 20% commission was $960. Once these people have the covers they want, the covers that follow will settle back down to a normal market price.

And soon hopefully. I am looking for a cover with red numbers, green numbers, and L and a reserve cross.

The real problem is, that people who have similar items think that is the going price and it is not. I don't know how many times I have asked about the price of something and the seller will say 'I saw one sell for $$". Once incident does not set market value. But sellers get those dollar signs in their eyes and there is no-way to get past that unfortunately.

Stratmann.... cost does not seem to be an issue. We have bid against each other for postcards. Nice uberzug though. Prices.....

Like Joe, I have seen Stratman in action before...cost is not a consideration. Nice uberzug however. I have never seen one with so many markings. Brian

Hey Tony--
You bring up an excellent point. I think all militaria is starting to follow that trend of the TR stuff. The price goes up for MAX or SOS and then never seems to fall!

Someone I dislike on another forum made a comment about me buying up various post-WWII Eastern Bloc helmets (I have pretty much a "complete" collection of most of the Communist nations) and said, "you must love those $5 helmets on eBay." Yeah, I wish they were $5. Try $50+ for some and $500+ for some really rare ones! :lol:

Hey Peter, even the $5 ones will vcomand more of a price in the future, there was a time when WWI stuff was not expensive and WWIIstuff was worthless. There will always be a market for anything that has real history.
Gus

Back