Helmet on ebay : the GMGA for Serbian front ?

Hello

Have you seen it ?:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Pickelhaube-Filz-Nackentuch-/320589561868?pt=Militaria&hash=item4aa4a0800c

What do you think about it ?

The number 2 is in fact a number 7...
It's written inside: GMGA for Gebirgs Maschinen Gewehr Abteilung

Have you ever seen a similar helmet ?

Best regards
IR76 de Hambourg (Paris) :D

I think I have seen that exact helmet.

Not covered in this article…
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Scroll_helmets.html

I think the seller is a very honest man–his questions are presented–yes even he has questions. Always tough to tell without handling it-- there are not exactly a huge number of references on these helmets.

Hello,
that is my helmet (Selling some helmets) and I have never been 100% certain about it. I would love to see a reference, particularly of a) this type of helmet numbers and b) the headgear of the lower numbered GMGA units 201-210 which were established in May 1915. I have not seen a helmet picture of one of these units yet, neither with neckflap nor without. They were attached to the Alpencorps at first, later they disappear from the battle order and were evidently deployed to the Serbian/Macedonian frontier.

The unit 206 was evidently associated to Jäger-Regiment 3 and can be tracked with the casualty list of that unit:
Part 1: from 1915 to March 1916
Part 2: from March 1916 to September 1917
Part 3: from September 1917 to the end of the war

As you can see, I put the spike back on. Originally I though all neckflap helmets were without and removed the spike, but then I saw a picture which one evidently having a spike and also the Prictor helmet which also has a spike. I would expect a Bavarian state cockade instead of Prussian. The cockades are original parts though, so I am leaving them on and selling the helmet as I received it.

The numbers are very similar to a helmet which was recently sold by Hermann Historica (See here).

Hi,

I hope you'll excuse my ignorance, but isn't unusual but see an "upside-down seven" used as a "two" , as pointed out by ir 76 de Hambourg ?

Best regards,
Chlodovech :?

Hi Chlodovech,
I don't know how common it was but I have seen it before. Here is a picture of a member from another GMGA unit 247. I looks like they used the same pattern for the "2" and the "7" on the shoulder flap.
gmga_247_33s.jpg

gmga_247_13s.jpg

Judging from the flowers in his tunic, it might be that he's shipping out somewhere.... notice the BIG smile on his face (another indication that he's going on a fun adventure)....

By the way, Robert, you live in one of my favorite parts of Germany, lucky fellow!

:D Ron

Back