HELMET STAMP

DPW

I picked up a nice 1915 issue Pickelhaube, Line-Infantry, ink stamped '1915', with a rectangular ink stamp beside it. This is only party visible due to the way it was put on. It looks as if it reads: 'EsAR 1B'. The first letter could be 'F', as only the top is visible, and the last could be an '8'. Hard to make out. Any ideas?

Thanks for that Robert. Yes, that makes sense. In that case the final part would probably be '18' rather than '1B' I should think. The helmet is a very nice one, excellent condition, with spike and all other parts steel of course. There are other stamps on the skirt but unreadable, though inside it is clearly size stamped '53'. with the maker's oval stamp looking like 'Maury & Co. Mainz'. The soldier has cut his name, 'Koch', into the inside of the visor. Altogeather a nice item. Thanks again!

Denton

Guys,
Something just struck me regarding the possible artillary 'FsAR18' stamp: Shouldn't that require the helmet to have a BALL top rather than a spike? Am I right in thinking that only Bayern used a spike for Foot-Artillary? This helmet has the standard 1915 type Prussian eagle Wappen for Line-Infantry, with the standard helmet spike (no question it's the original one either),which would seem to rule out artillary. Any further thoughts on the subject?

Ah, but if the helmet is a Modell 1915, the finial is easily removable and interchangeable. By directive, these helmets were worn in the field without spikes or artillery Kugeln, and I suspect your helmet was retrofitted with the former without regard for the unit marking.

In all other respects, the M15 artillery and infantry helmets would be identical. How closely does the color/finish of the spike match the other metal furniture?

Chas.

I think you've hit on it right enough! I removed the spike and examined it carefully with a high-power glass. It isn't exactly the same tone, only slightly but it isn't, to all the other metal parts, having a hardly detectable brownish fleck on it that isn't to be found anywhere else. It can't easily be detected just looking at it with the naked eye. All other metal parts match in tone exactly. And with the spike off I can see that the mount is badly deformed on one side, as if struck by a heavy object, the left side crushed downwards, indicating I should think that the helmet was worn without anything on it. In a way that's fine, since I have a 1915 Pickelhaube missing it's spike-now I have one!

I hadn't actually though of the Foot Artillary, as I had only seen it given previously as 'FA', not 'FsA'. So, if that is a Foot Artillary stamp I assume it refers to Thuringisches Fussartillerie-Regt. Nr.18.

Thanks for your assistance. My knowledge of WWII helmets is quite extinsive (I have 60 of them), but not with regards to WWI.

All the best,

Denton

DPW said:
So, if that is a Foot Artillary stamp I assume it refers to Thuringisches Fussartillerie-Regt. Nr.18.
Hi Denton:

I believe you've nailed it. A replacement Kugel will turn up eventually. I'll keep my eyes open.

Chas.

Back