Helmet with dog / lion crest

WOW. The helmet resembles a Persian helmet from the Qajar period, but the Raupe looks French. The lion is similar to the one used by the British Inniskilling Dragoons but it was never mounted that low.

I can venture a guess: The helmet was Persian and captured by the French and refitted for their purposes. After that it was again retaken by the British and was given to the U.S. where it was refitted for the American Kennel Club???

In other words --- not a clue.

John :)

One point to remember is that Qajar helmet - like the Egyptian Khedive era helmets and cuirass - were made in France. I would venture it could be a helmet made in France for export to another country. The lion was the symbol of the Qajar Dynasty of Persia, so that is a distinct possibility.

This is a Persian helmet from the 12 century. Maybe the other one was meant to evoke a similar style:

uS9QE.jpg

Thanks for your comments
I tend to believe that this helmet is a genuine one, not a theatrical creation.
Persian maybe...

Brgds

JM

Hello
This helmet does not belong to me
It was offered for sale on the internet but I can't find the link anymore, sorry
But otherwise yes, it was clearly meant to receive a tail in French style, and probably had a lower leather band attached to it.
Brgds
JM

I finally found it, here it is

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/51479053_plated-brass-dragoon-helmet-crowned-with-a-lion-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michmuch said:
I finally found it, here it is

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/51479053_plated-brass-dragoon-helmet-crowned-with-a-lion-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read the advertisement and I feel confident that I can say that this is not from the Napoleonic Wars.
I believe that the early Indian idea merits investigation. That could be entirely possible.

John :)

Based on the photos on the auction site I see a French design and I do think it was for export to Persia during the Qajar Dynasty. The shape is similar to the Qajar helmet I own and the lion remains and important motif for Persia. I'm not seeing an Indian connection with this helmet.

The problem is so much seems to be missing. I don't think based on the photos that this had a neck curtain - like the Indo-Persian helmets, but it is possible.

I wonder if we're thinking the wrong region with India/Persia. Could this be French for say Indo-China, Siam or a similar French client state?

Helmet sold for 900 euros, so either someone knew what it was or took a huge chance.

I think the idea that it was over a leather/fur hat is probably correct. Looking at the photos from the auction site I see how the two holes on each side could line up with a cockade or rosette too. I've gone through dozens of books and I can't find anything close.

Of course this could be some one off piece, a fantasy piece or something from a fraternal group too!

Hello

Rechecking the pictures, I noticed that the "lion" seems to have some ciseled wings. In which case it would be some kind of mystical beast, TBD...

JM

Back