Help Identifying this Kugelhelm!

Redlegwolf

Hello everyone!

I know this is an older kugelhelm, and that it is cut down from an earlier model, but I was hoping someone had the expertise to guide me as to what exactly I am seeing here. It is very beautiful, and I would like a good description on it as I add it to my growing Artillery museum.

Others can help you more than I regarding ID of this. However, I've never seen the top of the spike base dished in like that (concaved) and I don't know how that would happen. More photos, especially of the liner, would help a lot.
Also, if you're using the wig head for a photo-base, I suppose that's okay, however, NEVER display spiked helmets (or any helmets for that matter) on styro heads. They're poison to leather and other materials. There's a thread about them floating around somewhere.

:D Ron

Hi Red:That kugel top is different. However, go to the Kaisers bunker site and look at the different models of helmets shown. Tony who owns the site has all the models starting with 1842 shown with excellent descriptions. Your helmet is pre 1891 because it has the old bolt on chin scales. It also has the older style pre 1890's pearl ring around the spike neck. You can use all of these characteristics and the Bunker pics to get a good idea of what you have. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks all---that pic was from before I purchased it. Here are some updated pictures. It is a stunning helmet for sure, but I'm still researching it. As I understand it is is a cut down of an earlier helmet turned into a 1871.

Okay Red am I misunderstanding or do you think that this is an officer's model. It is not. If there is any confusion there we would love to help.

Definitely not an officer officer helmet despite the cockades. This has an OR leather liner not an officer liner. The bolt on chin scales are also missing the circular chin scale bosses which would match the old kugel top. An old helmet with add on parts to complete it. Sorry

Oh, I'm tracking this one is enlisted--I guess my mind was on my Officer's Kugelhelm. Yes, I'd appreciate any help in determinign what this is--I know it was a pre-1871 and then cut down to 1871, but I don't know what it was pre 1871, and would appreciate help in that regard.

Hi Redlegwolf

I've looked at your photos regarding this old kugelhelm and feel that what you have is simply a model 1871, being cut-down from from an earlier model I'm not so sure.

An 1860 pattern helmet would have had a square cut front visor with a cruciform spike base and tell-tale signs of plugged holes would be visible in the crown of your helmet. They of course were produced in heavier guage of leather as an 1871 as yours appears to be. An interesting anecdote I read in a first hand account of combat during the 1870 war, mentioned the placing of a pickelhaube on the head of a wounded soldier during a fight, as protection as he waited for the medical orderlies to find him

An 1867 kugelhelm would have had a rounded front visor and round spike base with two ventilators as yours does, but of course, without a rear spine. The attaching method on an 1867 wappen is completely different from the 1860 or 1871 models, being two bayonet slides on the rear of the wappen instead of screws with attaching nuts. Those slides would fit into two looped metal staples placed on the front of the helmet. I believe that later, many of the wappen on the 67's were retrofitted with screw nuts (and rear spines), as the bayonet slides did not hold the wappen in place securely enough. Further, the leather bodies of the 1867 models that I have observed, or have in the collection, are made of a lighter guage leather than yours with a lower height. This may or may not be an absolute, as there are exceptions to everything it seems. So it may be a '67 with the modifications and additions I mentioned.

Final comment is that the spike on your helmet is installed with the air holes front to back instead of the regulation side to side. I have seen this on a number of early helmets, several in our collection are done this way. This may be explained that someone in the past took the helmet apart for some reason and re-assembled it incorrectly. However, I feel a strong possibility exists that this was done by the wearer (perhaps with unit level semi-official sanction) to increase the air flow during use. I have an 1860 kugelhelm done this way where they actually twisted the spike on its base to accomplish this. Soldiers do modify their equipment for comfort when they can get away with it.

At any rate, it looks like a nice old helm and wish for you many more to add to your collection..

Cheers :thumb up:

Larmo

Much thanks, Larmo--I just now saw your post. Always appreciate help with this stuff. Just another beautiful piece of militaria of an era long past.

Back