Help in identification; ensign IR Reg 92 3rd Battalion.

NEWBE2

Hi,

I would like some help on the identification of this item.
Purchased from Stauffer April 2022. It was described as an ensign IR Reg 92 3rd Battalion.
However it has a fur Koenig helmet plate motto and not a fur Fuerst which I understand should be present for IR 92
Would that be correct?
Any comments gratefully received1654420507510.png

I‘m sorry Newbe2, but it looks like a parts helmet for me. As you mentioned the eagle is wrong for the helmet, as same as the skull. The chinscale looks a bit like it is curved, but it should be a flat one. For more information we would need to see more photos from all sides if the helmet, but I don’t think that it is an IR 92 helmet. Sorry for the bad news.

To me, it looks like a normal M95 Officers helmet. Chinscales are flat, but it isn't a IR92 helmet. Scull and crossbones are an add-on.
Also, it should have stars at the base. So for me, it also looks like a parts helmet. If you remove the skull&cross bones, and fit some stars for the spike-base, it would be a nice officer, Prussian helmet. (except for the missing shellac on this one)

Ok, Coert found the nicer words. I didn't mean to disillusion you either, Newbe2. The helmet body, the spike, the spike base, the eagle as well as the chinscales look like original parts of an officer helmet and still have their value, although not everything matches the IR92. The cockades, the rear spine and fasteners could also be original, but for that we would need to see the other sides of the helmet and the fasteners inside the helmet.
Anyway, I hope you didn’t pay too much for it. If I were you, I would try to get your money back from the auction house if they sold it as an original helmet.

Hello Newbe2
Welcome to the forum,there are a lot of experienced collectors here that can provide sound advice.Don’t be discouraged about the problems with your recent purchase. You aren’t the first nor the last who has picked up a questionable Pickelhaube.
Best regards
John

Hello Newbe2
Welcome to the forum,there are a lot of experienced collectors here that can provide sound advice.Don’t be discouraged about the problems with your recent purchase. You aren’t the first nor the last who has picked up a questionable Pickelhaube.
Best regards
John
I agree with that 100% John. I also did buy 2 helmets, which I thought were good ones. They were not. Everybody can fall for it.
I did twice.. Welcome aboard @NEWBE2 , one of our members has some very nice stars for sale, so you can have a nice officer helmet the way it should be.

Regards, Coert.

The name "Stauffer" should already be a big red flag !!!!
Be very careful with the items offered by this auction house....
Sorry for you, this helmet is a 100% parts helmet. Maybe you can get your money back? I hope for you...

Philippe
;)

I hope you can get kour money back.
It is scandalous that professionnals and pseudo expert take davantage of the trust of passionates usine their reputation ...

Can you show a picture of the interior?
If it is good and you take off the skull and add star studs ( as others have said ) the helmet may be worth $450 - $750 with the shellac missing.

My apologies for adding to the pain, but the Totenkopf is a replica. Sellers for years have been adding Braunschweig pattern Totenkopf and then making some ludicrous claim that is instantly Garde Flammenwerfer Sturm Btln. von Wiener or whatever.

Back