Help in trying to make out a name written in my Pickelhaube

Scout2017

I recently acquired a Garde Pickelhaube that I believe traces back to either the Reserve Officers of the Guards Fusilier Regiment or the 5th Foot Guard Regiment.

The helmet needs some restoration work that will take time, but all in all it's not in the worst shape given it's age and having sat in someone's basement or trunk for over 100 years.

Where I could use the help of forum members is in helping me make out writing that appears in the top of the helmet. The hand writing appears to be a name that I can't make out. Attached are two photos. The writing appears on the top and bottom of the center plate. I am hoping that some member of the forum has an eye for making out hand written names and might be able to tell me if the writing is a name and if so, what it is.

I would welcome any and all suggestions of the owners name.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts. Joe

Hi,
First pict, I am reading "Garde Res. Eisen(bahn?)"
Second pict: "KRÜGER"

Garde Pionier Eisenbahn helmets had silver fittings, as GPB, GFR, 1GR z.Fuß and 5 Garde Regiment.

Philippe
:wink:

Argonne

Thank you. I greatly appreciate you assistance. I can now see both in the writing. The helmet has a silver Guard Eagle; silver spike; silver circular base; the stars on the base are gold; it is a reservist piece, so there is a small gold gilt reserve cross at the base; visor trim is silver; rear spine is silver and the chin scales are brass gilt. The rosette for the chinscales is silver.

Would this correspond for the Garde Pionier Eisenbahn as well?

Thank you. Joe

Some additional info here as I have the helmet now for restoration....the remaining chin scale, seems to be zinc scales with a nickel plating/wash on them. They are not pre war quality neu silber. The wappen has one more confusing characteristic as the guard on the sword has the "S" grenadier style instead of the proper "square" guard of a regulation Garde officer wappen. Any further information/explanation of these characteristics would be appreciated.

Back