Help on Saxon Pickelhaube’s markings

Mild_Turkey

Hi all, I recently purchased a beautiful Saxon officers (photos to come soon). When I examined it in person, what swayed me to buy it was the personal touch of some writing inside however I cannot for the life of me figure out what some of the writings mean.

To my eyes it appears to be:

Frenzel
Res Jan. Comp 1
XII A.C.

Several things don’t add up for me. First, the wappen itself does not have a reserve cross, which to me is the only thing the “Res” could signify.
Second is “Jan”. Maybe the name of the regiment’s namesake? I can’t find any Royal Saxon regiment in which Jan could be the name of a royal.
Third and most obvious to our members. Company spelled with a C instead of a K?? Unless this is a Saxon thing, it’s quite a head scratcher!

XII makes sense, since 12th corps would’ve been Saxon, but I can’t come up with anything for “AC”

Thank you for looking

Attachments

• IMG_8321.jpeg
    IMG_8321.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
There’s also the size marking with some writing next to it as well.

“56”, this needs to explanation. But “13 1/2”? This I’m not sure of. There’s some handwriting in old German script below it

Attachments

• IMG_8318.jpeg
    IMG_8318.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Hi,

Reserve Sanitäts Companie 1, XII Armee Corps.

K and C were both used.

Maybe your guy, Unteroffizier Emil Frenzel:

Philippe
Woah, thank you so much. If that’s the case then I misidentified the S as a J haha.

As much as I wish your source matches my helmet, I don’t believe that’s my guy. The helmet I have is for an officer. There are no unteroffizier features on it.

Again, thank you for the help

Last edited:
Please show us just more picts, as you will have the helmet in your hands, we will see...
Private purchased helmet (Eigentum) is never automatically an officer helmet ;)
The rank "Unteroffizier" did not have particularities on Eigentum helmets as they belong to Mannschaften...

Philippe

Back