Help! Pickelhaube Chinstrap cut

morel5000

Hi All,

I need some advice on fixing a M15 chinstrap. The chinstrap has a cut which is approximately 50% transverse of the strap.. What tape or other means can I use prevent it from breaking? The leather is flexible.

Thanks,
Michel

Michel, I am not sure what our restoration expert Brian uses but I use 3M surgical micropore tape which is paper thin and I apply contact cement to give support to the leather so that it doesn't break. The micropore tape must be that of the surgical type which is of our skin colour and cosmetic surgeon uses it to prevent our skin from splitting open after a surgery.

Do not use tape.
Use thick gel super glue ( CA glue ).
Get a flat wooden board ( or card board can be used ), wax paper ,scotch tape a couple of pins and the super glue ( CA ).
Tape the wax paper to the board.
Tape the c/s to the board flat as possible with split on top.
Apply the super glue gel to the inside edge of the tear.
As quick as you can pin the tear flat going through the edge of the strap on an angle both sides down to the board.
You can allow to dry or use a kicker to quick set the CA glue.
I have done SEVERAL repairs to chinstraps and tears in felt haubes
When done the repair is almost undetectable and will be the strongest part on the strap.

You must use the thick CA glue ( gel )
If you use the thin capillary action will happen and the glue will set before the pieces are able to stick together.

Thanks, I experimented with the glue on an old strap of a binocular and it worked out well.
I'll try that one, thanks again,

Michel

Back