HELP! Was this photo a fake? Can you help identify?

bradjackman

Alright, here's a family photo I've got. The only person in the DIRECT line it could have been was a guy who was born in 1837 in Prussia. He immigrated to the US in 1859, likely after his military service around the late 1850's. The photo is definately period - a rough cut tintype about three inches tall, by 2 inches or so, though it would have been very early even for that type of photo.

So my question is - was this like an 1880's version of one of those "old west" photos nowadays, where they slap on some goofy mismatched outfit decades later at a carnival and take your picture for laughs? Or was this the real thing from the 1850's? Or was this maybe a cousin or a relative from the 1860's-70's who sent over a picture?

If this photo is authentic, then its probably the only picture of this great-great-great grandfather that exists. Trying hard to find out if its authentic.

I can't find a picture of this Wappen design anywhere, nor can I find a description of this uniform with the double white crossbelts, but a fairly plain jacket.

Help!

Free pat on the back goes to the best answer! :D

imhoff135questions.jpg

imhoff135questionssubse.jpg

Hey, just got a response from a kind fellow who helped me figure out what this was. Dang, you guys are good! Thought I'd post it here so others would know:

Hello: I studied and "photo shopped" the image you posted on the pickelhaubes.com forum and can shed a little light for you. The uniform is typical of American state or local militias and could have been worn from the 1880's into the early part of the 20th century. The helmet is clearly a U.S. Model 1881 spike helmet that was worn by federal troops in the 1880's. Militia, para military organizations and some military schools wore this helmet into the 20th century. Attached are illustrations of the helmet and the spike/base. The spike/base is unique to the U.S. Model 1881 helmet. Note, the helmet in the attachment has a federal front plate. Each militia would have had their own plate..

I believe the weapon he is holding is a U.S. Model 1873 single shot rifle. However, I am not positive about the rifle as very little detail of the mechanism is visible in the photos.

The helmet plate and belt buckle would identify the organization. Unfortunately neither is clear enough in the photo to make out.

If you know the state(s) in which your ancestor resided you might try researching the militia uniforms for that state and any cities within the state that may have had militia or para military units.

I hope the above helps.

Good luck with your project.

Yeah, a US militia unit was exactly what I thought when I first saw the photo, too! Other than that, I don't really have a clue.

Back