Help with Bavarian Officers Pickelhaube

Jody

Hello,
I have a question. I bought this helmet over the weekend. It came from a friend who acquired from a WWII vet in 1983. I can verify that story because I was around when he bought it back in the day and saw it right after he bought it (I was 18). I told him if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know and it finally happened. My question is this, I know it is missing the cokades (it always has). What is the deal with the state cokade pinned through the side. It has always been there and it stuck preety tight to the side of the helmet.

Thank You,
Jody

Sorry, I can offer no help on this one. We see this kokade fixation method on older Bavarian raupen helmets. These have lions head chin scale bosses from which the chin scales hang. If memory serves, the kokade is always Bavarian blue and white not the Reichs colours. However, I have never seen this before on a helmet which has all the characteristics of a WW1 Bavarian officer helmet. On the opposite side (no kokade) are
there any marks in the finish which would prove that there was a Bavarian kokade on there at one time?

Hello,
The helmet has had cockades on it at one time where they should be, behind the chinscales. There was no device pinned on the upper side of the opposite side of the helmet. All I can say is that the cockade has been on there a long time. It has even imprinted itself on the finish of the shell. I have seen this helmet since it was obtained in 1983 and the cockade was always on there. I guess it makes a nice conversation piece.

I would like to find cockades for it someday.

Thank You,
Jody

Here is the other side of the helmet.

Back