Help with Cuban Helmet

car15

I have this Cuban helmet and I am in need of restoration help. Anyone have any information as to the history of this helmet. I am not sure if I should have it restored or leave it alone. It would be nice to know what parts are missing and where can they be found. I really appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Very nice helmet!
Thanks for sharing.
First one I get to see.
I would leave it as it is.

welcome to the forum first of all
the things your missing are the liner
side posts or knopf 91
a chinstrap (leather one or brass scales)(thats to be found out )
two cocades
the side posts are to be found easy on e bay
if it has a regular chinstrap you also find these on e bay
the best part is ,you have the original helmet plate that would be 'needling'in a haystack
as for the cocades you have to find out witch ones for the colors :?:
if this one would be mine i would go for completing the outside first
thats the first thing you get to see when it is displayed
if you go for it ,good luck and keep us informed when you did :thumb up:

jonas

First thing I would do, is see to find photos of this helmet being worn or a complete one. That way you would have an idea what it is missing.

The helmet isn't referenced in Les Casques Militaires: des Etats d'Amerique latine, by Yves Plasseraud. That book, which came out in 2012, covers military helmets of Latin and South America.

However, that said I do think it looks correct. The plate is absolutely Cuban. Personally I would restore it. It really should just have the components and hardware found on a Prussian/German helmet.

I don't think you'll have much luck, pickelhauben- this fellow doesn't seem to have logged on since the initial post (yes, I've messaged him!). If anyone knows who owns this helmet, I'd love to be put in touch...

Cheers,
Arran.

Back