Help with Markings - Mystery Solved - Saxon not Bavarian

Peter B

Can anyone help with these markings? On a Bavarian Pickelhaube.

Thanks.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_8764.jpeg
    IMG_8764.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8765.jpeg
    IMG_8765.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 27
Third Battalion, 10th Kompanie , 134 Regiment. Never seen 00 before, no idea.
Thanks Brian. James wasn't sure about the 00 either. So is this a Saxon Regiment in your opinion? Any chance it could be Bavarian? Maybe Tony might have a better idea? It is on a "Bavarian" helmet I just bought and is en route to me. James thinks maybe the wappen was changed from Saxon to Bavarian. I won't know if there are extra holes until I receive it.

Attachments

• IMG_8762.jpeg
    IMG_8762.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 8
Yes, it should be Saxon regiment 134. In this case, 00 should stand for 1900. This is how they indicated the year of attribution: last two digits (this was specific to Saxon markings).

Yes, it should be Saxon regiment 134. In this case, 00 should stand for 1900. This is how they indicated the year of attribution: last two digits (this was specific to Saxon markings).

Excellent information and mystery 00 solved. So the Bayern M1896 Wappen does not belong on there.

So two questions. How hard is it to find an M1896 Saxon Wappen and is Saxon helmet more desirable / valuable than a Bavarian one?

Peter

The Prussians made up the largest part of the German Army while the Bavarians were second. Consequently, Prussian helmets are the most common. I don’t know where Saxony ranked in this order but obviously, somewhere after the Bavarians. To me, there is more value in having a wappen which matches the regimental markings. In my experience, no surprise the Saxe is a more rare helmet to acquire. Saxon wappen do come up for sale but as usual with haube fittings it will take time and patience. I will look for one at the SOS if you like or maybe someone here has a spare.

Should be able to find you a Saxon wappen with time, Like Brian I will keep an eye out!

Thanks Bruno for the 00 explanation, I did not know that!

James

There are a few on Phillipe Militaria for 195 euros. Is that a reasonable price? Will have to wait and see what holes the helmet has (and spacing) I guess as well, unless the Saxon wappen all have the same size? There are variants with screws and nuts and loops on Phillipe.

Well, the wappen on my 1904 dated Saxon haube has loops on the back for the star, and small loops for the saxon wappen, with a pin through them, to fix the saxon wappen on the star itself. The saxon wappen itself is marked with a single O, on the back of it, which means it was made by Osang. I do however not know if the versions with nuts are correct to, maybe other members do.
Edit, I fixed some typing errors..

Last edited:
These are three of the wappens on Phillipe. Two have all nuts and one has nuts and loops.

Attachments

• 138644-2.jpeg
    138644-2.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 6
  • 138644-1.jpeg
    138644-1.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 138643-3.jpeg
    138643-3.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 138643-2.jpeg
    138643-2.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 138643-1.jpeg
    138643-1.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 138642-3.jpeg
    138642-3.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 138642-2.jpeg
    138642-2.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 6
  • 138642-1.jpeg
    138642-1.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 138644-3.jpeg
    138644-3.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 6
From the limited examples I've measured, the hole spacing for Saxon and Bavarian Wappen are generally the same.

And yet another question. What would be the correct Sachsen kokarden for this helmet? I see there are two types, the rounded ones and the ones with the serrated edges. Would I be looking for rounded ones for both sides (Imperial and Saxon)? Or do they mix and match?

And yet another question. What would be the correct Sachsen kokarden for this helmet? I see there are two types, the rounded ones and the ones with the serrated edges. Would I be looking for rounded ones for both sides (Imperial and Saxon)? Or do they mix and match?
I would go with the rounded ones if I were you. Serrated ones were used on the M15, but rounded ones are more the usual Saxon style. I have both an M95 and a M15 Saxon, both have the rounded kokarden.

I would go with the rounded ones if I were you. Serrated ones were used on the M15, but rounded ones are more the usual Saxon style. I have both an M95 and a M15 Saxon, both have the rounded kokarden.
Thanks Coert.

Peter- just went through parts box and I have a Saxon wappen that could work, depends on width between holes...

let me know when you get the helmet and measure!

Best

James

If you no longer have a use for the bavarian wappen I would be glad to take it off your hands

Peter- just went through parts box and I have a Saxon wappen that could work, depends on width between holes...

let me know when you get the helmet and measure!

Best

James
That’s great James. Hopefully it will arrive next week. Coming from Saskatoon Saskatchewan. The second I get it I will measure and let you know.

If you get a chance can you email me some pictures?

Peter

Back