Henry the Lion

Lost Skeleton

I originally took these photographs for Mike Dwyer, who expressed interest in this beautiful Brunswick order in his thread on Hans von Frobel

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2517

I decided to share scaled down versions here.

First, the Grand Cross, which was worn on a sash.

HdLGK.jpg

The hallmark on the Grand Cross is a star above the letter "S," presumably for the "Hof-Juwelier" Siebrecht (Thank you, R1).

P1010032.jpg

Star to the Grand Cross:

HdLBzG.jpg

Hallmarks: Hermann Jürgens

P1010017.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Knight's Cross, 1st Class

HdLR1K.jpg

Hallmarks: interlaced "HJ" for Hermann Jürgens, crescent moon, crown, and 900

P1010046.jpg

Star to the Knight's Cross

HdLSzR.jpg

Hallmark: H. Rose Schwerin

P1010027.jpg

Knight's Cross 2nd Class

HdLRK2.jpg

Silver proofs on the suspension ring, the maker is again Jürgens:

P1010019.jpg

Group portrait

PICT0496.jpg

Chas.

There are some beautiful Henry the Lion items (along with several other beautiful goodies!!) on this auction

http://www.ubs.com/4/auctions/ubs-68/auk68.htm

Hi Mike:

Thank you for providing the link. I didn't know UBS ran auctions. For those interested, the HdL lots are # 26 - 33 and the photos are first rate.

Those prices beggar the imagination. €4,500 is the combined reserve on the Großkreuz and corresponding star. I'd love to learn the realized bids.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
Hi Mike:

......the photos are first rate.

Chas.
Yes, they are first rate. I took the liberty of saving nearly all of them to my computer for reference purposes!

I recently acquired a Kabinettphoto of a highly decorated naval officer, and was amazed to find him wearing a Henry the Lion Commander cross.

KMOfficer.jpg

2hdl.jpg

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
I recently acquired a Kabinettphoto of a highly decorated naval officer, and was amazed to find him wearing a Henry the Lion Commander cross.

KMOfficer.jpg

2hdl.jpg

Chas.

Chas, That's a fantastic CDV. Do you have a name for the guy? If not, may I post a copy of your picture on GMIC? I'm sure a name could be found.

Mike

Hi Mike:

I have no idea regarding this individual's identity. The plain collar and shoulder boards indicate he is a Seeoffizier (line officer) with the rank of Korvettenkapitän (Commander). At least, I don't see any Rangstern on the boards. As you will have noticed, he wears no 14/18 awards.

Please do show it to the GMIC. With all those House Orders, he has to be nobility.

I still owe you an explanation for the Discovery Polar Medal.

It's good hearing from you.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
I have no idea regarding this individual's identity. The plain collar and shoulder boards indicate he is a Seeoffizier (line officer) with the rank of Korvettenkapitän (Commander). At least, I don't see any Rangstern on the boards. As you will have noticed, he wears no 14/18 awards.

Well Chas I think you may be supprised by what you have there. The CDV has caused quite a bit of interest on GMIC but here's a link to the answer you are looking for.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=27173&view=findpost&p=256701

I'd be interested in hearing all about that "Polar Medal"

All the best, Mike

Hi Mike:

Fantastic! Kudos to Rick Research. The Kabinettphoto came with a well worn Kaiserliche Marine Seeoffizier overcoat (Überzieher) that had its shoulder boards removed.

Now, I don't, for one moment, believe this overcoat belonged to von Schwind, but that is how I acquired the photo. A good friend, Stephen Kirby, has asked me before to participate at the GMIC. Perhaps it's time to take the plunge.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
A good friend, Stephen Kirby, has asked me before to participate at the GMIC. Perhaps it's time to take the plunge.
Chas.

That is, if you can stomach the humorless religious-fanatic that runs it.

The Chairman said:
Members who post obscene, profane oaths, threatening, swearing, cursing, execrations, or other scandalous actions, in derogation of God’s honour and corruption of good manners, shall have their posting removed or altered and incur punishment as the Executive Board shall think fit to impose.
"incur punishment"? "scandalous actions"? "derogation of God’s honour"? Give me a break. Absolute :bs:

Wow...whoever this guy is, he certainly thinks of himself as Gods instrument on earth. I was raised in the United Curch myself and always thought that God and Jesus had a sense of humour! Brian

Back