Here is one you do not see everyday, Prussian M15 Officer shako

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked this one up, Nice Prussian M15 officer wartime shako.

Has zinc chinscales which you find in wartime helmets. Front wappen looks to be chemically darkened, as do both the outside rings on kokarden. Not sure why there are two kokarden as it should have one and a feldziechen, but both look to have been on there since it was put together as split pins have not been touched. Also officer liner with later oil skin type sweatband. Sadly wappen is broken were the ORB would be.

Thanks

James

Has zinc chinscales which you find in wartime helmets. Front wappen looks to be chemically darkened, as do both the outside rings on kokarden. Not sure why there are two kokarden as it should have one and a feldziechen, but both look to have been on there since it was put together as split pins have not been touched. Also officer liner with later oil skin type sweatband. Sadly wappen is broken were the ORB would be.

Thanks

James

James
I like it a lot
In your last photo ; close up
do I see another outline to the left of the eagle's beak?
It all looks 100 % original to me
very good find
you sure know how to turn them up
Steve

Reactions: ccj
James
I like it a lot
In your last photo ; close up
do I see another outline to the left of the eagle's beak?
It all looks 100 % original to me
very good find
you sure know how to turn them up
Steve
Steve- I see what you are looking at, happily it was a couple of white hairs!

James

James:

Great looking piece and not often seen. Odd that it has the Prussian Kokarde as there is clearly provision made to accommodate a Feldzeichen.

I find the chin scales interesting as there doesn't appear to have ever been any plating or wash on them yet the connector and the rear buckle are in brass. Would they have been purchased in plain zinc?

Steve

I didn't even notice the damage to the Wappen, I was too focused on the condition of the body and that lovely patina.

Congratulations, that was a fast turnaround, I think I just saw that one pop up last week.

Beautiful, it just has a great look to it (y)(y)

Thanks

James

Wow! James, what's a beauty. Congratulations. Well done.
Zeb.

I agree with Pontiac 9999
I think that this was issued with a thin guilting over the zinc and has faded with age.
But I do love the look!
Thanks for sharing.

James:

Great looking piece and not often seen. Odd that it has the Prussian Kokarde as there is clearly provision made to accommodate a Feldzeichen.

I find the chin scales interesting as there doesn't appear to have ever been any plating or wash on them yet the connector and the rear buckle are in brass. Would they have been purchased in plain zinc?

Steve
Very nice first I have seen. So as there is a black and white Feldzeichen there is only one state cockade and not two? Rob

Back