Hesse-Darmstadt Rifle

dobk

Hi. Just wanted to post pictures of a rifle I purchased at a local show a year ago. Had no idea what it was and have not been able to find a picture of one like it anywhere. Have since been told by one source it is a Model 1859 Scharfschützenbüchse from Hesse-Darmstadt. A strange thing is that it has no proofs, serial number, or unit markings of the Hesse-Darmstadt Army and probably was not issued to it. It only has the Crown/V.C.S. (Schilling) on the lock and what appears to be inspection letters on each part. Would welcome any information on it, numbers produced, or theories about it's history. Thanks.

17712DSC01785.JPG

17712DSC01789.JPG

17712DSC01758.JPG

17712DSC01737.JPG

17712DSC01749a.jpg

I don't do guns but the history of Hesse-Darmstadt and all of the Hessian states in this year and after the 1866 war I find fascinating so I will look forward to what you find eagerly. Welcome to the forum!

That is a really superb piece - all original browning on the barrel and case-colours on the lock.

I do not have this sharpshooters rifle in any of my references but I did find a similar rifle on an old Hermann-Historica auction. Another Hesse-Darmstadt Scharfschützenbüchse, not identical to yours but a very similar percussion lock, similar rear sight quadrant, and the same bayonet fitting, so definitely related.

I have attached the photos, the original German description, and my very bad attempt at a translation.

Check this link for some of my Austro-Prussian/Franco-Prussian War rifles so you can see what your Hessians were up against in 1866.

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3636

Mike

61552.jpg

61552_b.jpg

61552_d.jpg

61552_c.jpg

61552_e.jpg

Los Nr.914
Perkussions-Scharfschützengewehr System Wild.
Percussion sniper rifle - System Wild.
Browned, octagonal to round barrel in Kaliber 10.5mm. Iron sight and bayonet fixture. Hessian Quadrant sight mid-way along barrel with engraved 200 - 1000 steps. Percussion lock with Hessian acceptance stamp crown, crowned "L", "18" and inspector monogram "AB". German engraver. Pale walnut stock with iron fittings, on the deduction bow crown stamp, at the nose „18", on the shaft" L" and "SL". Length 127.5 cm. Unknown model, probably an attempt copy after the Scharfschützenbüchse M 1862

Los Nr.914
Perkussions-Scharfschützengewehr System Wild.
Bräunierter, achtkantiger, in rund übergehender, fünffach gezogener Lauf im Kal. 10,5 mm, eisernes Korn und seitliche Bajonetthalterung. In der Laufmitte hessisches Quadrantenvisier mit gravierter Einteilung 200 - 1000 Schritt. Perkussionsschloss mit hessischen Abnahmestempeln Krone, gekröntem "L", "18" und Meistermonogramm "AB" legiert. Deutscher Stecher. Heller Nussholzschaft mit eisernen Beschlägen, auf dem Abzugsbügel Kronenstempel, an der Nase "18", auf dem Schaft "L" und "SL". Länge 127,5 cm. Kammerfrische Erhaltung.
Unbekanntes Modell, vermutlich Versuchsexemplar nach der Scharfschützenbüchse M 1862. Vgl. Udo Vollmer, Deutsche Militär-Handfeuerwaffen, Band 4, Hessen-Darmstadt, Frankfurt, Homburg und Nassau, Abb. Tafel 103.

Thankyou Flasheart. I had looked over the guns on Hermann Historica's auction and had seen this rifle. It looks very close to a Swiss M1851 Stutzer with two visible differences; the rear sight is mounted farther forward and the bayonet lug which you mentioned. The bayonet lug on mine is somewhat different from this rifle and here are two pictures showing it in closeup.

DSC01734a.jpg

DSC01736.JPG

The shape of the lockplate and hammer on the Wurttemberg M/51 Jagerbuchse pictured below form a Hermann Historica auction is very similar to mine but the rear sight and stock furniture are much different.

55514_b.jpg

55514a.jpg

I found information on the Baden M 1843 Jagerbuchse on www.waffensammler-kuratorium.de and it's rear sight, barrel mounting, and forestock furniture are almost exactly like mine but the lock and buttstock are quite different.

badjb2a.jpg

badjb4a.jpg

badjb14a.jpg

Back