Hessen Darmstadt Medal: Good or Fake?

Man... Are you sure this is the real McCoy?

I have never before seen a suspension loop mount like that on an Hessen-Darmstadt medal... Hessen-Kassel yes, Hessen-Darmstadt, no...

And the inscription: "FÜR TREUEN DIENST IM KRIEGE"
I've looked all over my references and it simply doesn't come up anywhere for Hessen-Darmstadt. It does however exist for Hessen-Kassel but then the royal cypher would be wrong...

Sorry, I'm stomped.

Like I said, according to my multiple references, this sucker doesn't even exist...

But heh... Hessen medals aren't exactly the best documented ones on Earth, especially during the early 19th century.

Try this guy, send him your pics, he's a real authority on the subject.

http://www.medalnet.net/contact.htm

Let me know if he comes up with something interesting!

Cheers!

Frank

I'm not very good at this, but I found in my copy of Nimmergut's Orden & Ehrenzeichen a medal that looks exactly like this one, except for a few small differences. The one in the book is from Hessen-Homburg, the writing and everything looks the same except it has a crowned F instead of an L, and the date under the F looks like it reads 4 IUNI 1850.

The Landgraf of Hessen-Homburg from 1829-1839 was Ludwig, so perhaps they hadn't changed the cypher by 1840 and that's why your medal has a L on it??? The Landgrave from 1848-1866 was Ferdinand which would account for the crowned F in the book.

Hi !

Frank: I sent a mail to Andreas. Let's see...

Liongules: thank you for your doc and your analysis. I checked in the Book but I think it is the ref 933 which is Hesse Darmstadt and not ref 966 Hesse Homburg

Indeed, it is difficult to say if this medal is genuine or not, this was the reason why I put this Hessen on the Forum. I am not very comfortable with !

Liongules said:
The one in the book is from Hessen-Homburg, the writing and everything looks the same except it has a crowned F instead of an L, and the date under the F looks like it reads 4 IUNI 1850.

Same here but for Hessen-Kassel, and just like you mention, that makes the Royal cypher completely wrong... Weird. One of my references even goes as far as quoting the writing on the Hessen-Darmstadt verdiesnt medals, all 24 different messages, but this one isn't on the list.

Back