Hessen Infantry Officer's Pickelhaube

SkipperJohn

Aside from the glue this looks pretty good:

The four arms of the crucifix base are the same length (only on Hessen).
The Kokarden look correct.
The chinscales are rounded so I doubt that it's infantry, I think it's a dragoon (Hessen used a round front visor for dragoons, not squared like everyone else).
Probably a Fähnrich.
May be a good deal for someone.

John

There were 2 Hessian Dragoon regiments ; D R 23 and D R 24 .Both were silver trim .it is not possible for this to be a Dragoon helmet .
Steve

Aside from the glue this looks pretty good:

The four arms of the crucifix base are the same length (only on Hessen).
The Kokarden look correct.
The chinscales are rounded so I doubt that it's infantry, I think it's a dragoon (Hessen used a round front visor for dragoons, not squared like everyone else).
Probably a Fähnrich.
May be a good deal for someone.

John
John, Hessian infantry officer helmets had rounded chinscales (except for IR115, where chinscales were flat). Therefore, this is correct for a Hessian infantry regiment.

I guess the two studs on the rear spine threw me off.
I did not know that Hesse used rounded chinscales for infantry.
The model 1895 infantry Hessens I've seen with M91 lugs had flat chinscales (enlisted).
Live and learn.

John

I guess the two studs on the rear spine threw me off.
I did not know that Hesse used rounded chinscales for infantry.
The model 1895 infantry Hessens I've seen with M91 lugs had flat chinscales (enlisted).
Live and learn.

John
I forgot to add that enlisted Hessian infantry helmets also bore curved chinscales, but only till 1897. Then, all regiments adopted flat chinscales. Only officer helmets retained rounded chinscales. Therefore, the pattern you saw was legit.

Back