Hessen spike and base

rskins7125

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a Hessen Pickelhaube's spike fluted and it base cruciform? There is one selling on Ebay with a smooth spike and round base. Thanks for any help.

There were round base Hessen M15's and I have one in my collection. There are also cruciform M15's with smooth spike. Anything with brass fittings should have the typical Hessen spike with cruciform base. Just found the listing...the whole thing is entirely bogus, wappen and spike are galvano repros, chin strap is from an old fire helme. Krap!

I have just got my hessen helme courtesy of a Forum member, I had been after one for 4 years and I had indeed been suckered with a fake one, I am pretty new to the Forum but have read all the articles and digested but when it comes down to it I realised I had to save up and buy one from a reputable source.
if the one you mean has a German seller then leave well alone.
is it me or have those fake spikes just not got the profile right?

Well you are not alone on that experience Gunner, my first one had some original parts (spike, wappen, chin scales) but these had been put on a Prussian style helmet shell. Live and learn in this collection biz, I sold the original brass parts......now I wish I had kept them. Congrats on your helmet and maybe post some pictures here.

Back