Hessian Haube for sale in Spain

chrispaulodale

I was just walking about in Bilbao, Spain this evening and saw through the window what looked like a Hessian Pickelhaube in an Antique shop. If I get time tomorrow I might stop by again and have a closer look when its open. What kind of price should this thing be fetching if its real? I'm not collecting myself but I guess one of you guys might be interested if I can get the seller's details...

They also had a few 3rd Reich Medals in the window, some of which looked real, others looked like they were made from old milk bottle tops... can't win them all!

Cheers
Chris

Here it is-
hessehaube.jpg

hessehaube2.jpg

Real? The spike looked too shiny and new, and of course no cruciform base. Other bits looked old. Maybe worth salvaging for parts? I don't know... you guys know better than me!

It was 250 Euro he said. Now here's the catch, the shop owner has no email address and doesn't speak English. Here's his business card though-

hessehaubecard.jpg

The phone number is Spain (+34) 94 432 37 60.

Let me know how you get on....

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for posting the photos. A disappointment to be sure. Now, your job is to start being able to spot these in an instant by studying reference books, good examples on line, etc. Aside from the poor fittings and the completely wrong spike, this one looks as if it has the leather wrong way out (smooth side out, rather than lacquered). So, you've your assignment, go for it!

Ron.

You're right Ron, there's no excuse for my ignorance on this topic. :(

When I first saw it through the window in the evening at the back of the shop, I couldn't really see any details. Up close the next day, I saw some problems, spike and shell as you say. I thought maybe the Wappen and cockades might be genuine though. I don't know the value of these things so maybe as spares it was worthwhile.

Either way I'd rather alert you guys if I see stuff like this on my travels. You never know, there's bound to be a few genuine ones out there hiding at the back of antique shops in small towns...

Cheers
Chris

chrispaulodale said:
You're right Ron, there's no excuse for my ignorance on this topic. :(

When I first saw it through the window in the evening at the back of the shop, I couldn't really see any details. Up close the next day, I saw some problems, spike and shell as you say. I thought maybe the Wappen and cockades might be genuine though. I don't know the value of these things so maybe as spares it was worthwhile.

Either way I'd rather alert you guys if I see stuff like this on my travels. You never know, there's bound to be a few genuine ones out there hiding at the back of antique shops in small towns...

Cheers
Chris

So you're doing well! Keep it up! =D>

:D Ron

Back