Hessian Infantry EM Pickelhaube M1915

RON

Apart from the missing fixtures & cockades and the broken wappen loops, do you gents think this one's OK?
I also see more than 1 ventilation hole under the spine. I'm guessing the pin hodling the spine is missing too... :-k
Looks like a parts helmet? Do the markings match the wappen?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200924178744?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks OK to me , the markings match ,the 3 holes in the back are normal too ,
two holes for ventilation and the one in the middle for the missing splitpin.

Westfront said:
Is the spike ok it has a strange shape i think :-k .

It does have a strange shape ,the color is also different then the rest ,well spotted West :thumb up:

When asked to post some detailed pics of the back of the Wappen and the front of the shell, seller told me not to participate and to back off.
I do not think XVIII ArmeeKorps and 51. (LI) were Hessian...But this AK perhaps had Hessian units (e.g. Pioniere...)
I think the other stamp reads R.B.A. Reserve Bekleidungsamt....

Just my opinion gentlemen.
Rgds,
Francis

Hello gents,
I was under the impression the spike looked somehow deformed because of the bad photography/wide angle distortion or that the helmet was a small size. If you look at Ed's (very nice and pristine) Hessian M15 (http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), the spike also looks a bit too big for the shell so maybe this is due to the small size?
As for the markings, I don't know much about these...

Broken wappen loops for me are a bad sign, they could have broken because someone was trying to fit this wappen into holes on the helmet that the wappen loops were not a match for.

Gents,

According to this XVIII corps was Hessian, so the front wappen seems to correspond with the markings. However, I agree that it is suspicious that the seller does not want to provide additional pics of the back of the wappen and front of the shell.

Regards,

Edwin

Good morning my friends! XVIII Corps did indeed contain Hessian units but not exclusively. Really, most of them are concentrated in one division of XVIII Army Corps. I looked at the markings and they were just too blurry. I cannot read them. I think I was able to make out an RBA stamping which would be consistent but I have no idea about what I think is a 51 on the far right side. Again is too blurry. Sorry. :coffee:

If I were looking at this one, there'd be too may red flags. The broken loop, the unwillingness of the seller to provide a photo of the back of the wappen (maybe he thinks the detached loop, from an original position, from an original Hessen helmet is bad???), not 100% clear markings, possibly mismatched spike.... It's really tough to 'let a helmet go', especially IF it might be good... but I'd let this one go. Too many questions from too many experts who's knowledge dwarfs mine.

But then, there is a 14 day return.... if you really want to LOOK at this one, the price is still right. So, once again, I'm no help at all! :cry: :p :wink:

:D Ron

Hi Gents,
Those markings are really interesting and scarce, never saw that before!
They are meaning: RBA18 and L.J.A.B. (XVIII.51.)
Especially the second one, what could it mean???? :eek:

Philippe

Guys,
I think I may have the answer about this L.J.A.B. (XVIII.51.)
Hier a better pict:

Landsturm Infanterie Ausbildungs Battaillon of the XVIII AK number 51. This number refers to the Landsturm district of the city of Schlüchtern.

Please see there:
http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924027944838#page/n163/mode/2up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philippe

Hey Phil,
So in other words the Hessian plate doesn't match the markings, correct?

RON said:
Hey Phil,
So in other words the Hessian plate doesn't match the markings, correct?

According to wikipedia Schlüchtern is located in Hessen. Hence, the markings and front wappen are consistent.

Regards,

Edwin

Yes but if it's LANDSTURM, shouldn't there be a Reserve Cross of some sort on the wappen?

Good job Philippe!

Ldst.-I.-Ausb.-Btl. Schlüchtern
(XVIII. 51)
Aufgestellt am 15.10.1915 durch Stellv. Gen.Kdo. XVIII. A.K. Gem. K.M., Verfg. v. 3.3.1916 am 31.3.1916 aufgelöst

Ron
Yes but if it's LANDSTURM, shouldn't there be a Reserve Cross of some sort on the wappen?

Yes but the vast majority of them did not.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

As usual now we follow the bouncing ball in regards to Hesse. As you can see from this 1914 map the city lays outside of the state of Hesse Darmstadt. It falls within the boundaries of an old state called Kurhesse. this state ceased to exist prior to 1867. it also falls within the modern state of Hesse.

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=60521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is a similar example:

ps1354 by joerookery, on Flickr

Ldst.-I.-Ers.-Btl. Dillenburg (XVIII. 41)

This is an amazing photo! Not only is it a cool head shot but the unit is clearly identifiable. The soldier is wearing a helmet from Hesse. The only problem is that the city is not in Hesse. This continues the constant amazement at the head gear of the units from Hesse. This picture will be incorporated shortly into the article:

<a href="http://pickelhauben.net/articles/Hessian%20Shako.htm" rel="nofollow">pickelhauben.net/articles/Hessian%20Shako.htm</a>

Back