Hessian M15 Pickelhaube from the Show of Shows 2020

ww1czechlegion

Hello,

Here's my modest helmet acquisition from the recent Show of Shows, a nice Hessian Model 1915 Helmet with the correct issue marking "R.B.A. 18" stamped inside. I've been looking for one of these for a very long time. These "R.B.A. 18" Depot Issued helmets are often found with the round spike base, and the regular, smooth spike, instead of the Fluted Hessian Spike and Hessian cloverleaf spike base on the helmets. They're seen configured this way in wartime photos as well. I'll have to dig one of my photo postcards out to post with this helmet

The seller's collector father replaced the metal front visor trim a long time ago, and did a nice job on it.

I added the chinstrap, original National Colors Kokarde, and the Repro Hessian Kokarde (until I can find an original Hessian Kokarde).

There are No extra holes behind the front plate, only the 2-original metal grommet ring holes. One loop is broken off from the back side of the front plate, and the loop is unfortunately missing.

The maker mark is hard to read, but I believe the helmet was made by "LEDERFABRIK BONAMES, JACOB D. MAYER & CO., 1915". Thanks to Joe's maker list, it made it easy to transcribe what I could make out in my helmet with his excellent list, making the positive maker ID an easy job. Thanks Joe! :bravo:

Best Regards,

Alan

101_0861.JPG

101_0862.JPG

101_0863.JPG

101_0864.JPG

101_0865.JPG

A beautiful helmet!

They are rare these Hessians, and can be found with round bases, crucyform bases, Prussian and Hessian fluted spikes, my Hessen M15 has a crucyform base and a Prussian style spike, also marked RBA 18.
Nice addition to your collection Alan! :bravo: :bravo:

Greetings, Coert. :thumb up:

Hi Amy
congratulations for your new helmet not easy to find.
I add two old photos found in my documentation showing Hessian helmets with standard round base and standard spike or artillery ball.
all the best
verdun16

pubblicazione imagine

They look very good Verdun16!

Here is my Hessian M15, with crucyform base but Prussian style spike, also marked RBA18, al be it the 18 is in roman lettering XVIII.

Like I posted before, there are many configurations possible Alan. You have a very nice original helmet. :)

Greetings, Coert.

Lucky you, Alan! I wonder if Hessian M15s with round spike bases were ever worn with fluted Hessian spikes.
And by the way, do you think yours bears a JzP spike? The height of the lower part of the spike is suggestive...

Congratulations and best wishes.

84d63062b7e7b2c27eaf1c33b40d76c3.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your very nice comments, I appreciate it greatly! :thumb up:

Those are two very nice helmets you have Verdun16, and the example you have is very nice as well Coert, congratulations! =D>

by member 911car:
And by the way, do you think yours bears a JzP spike? The height of the lower part of the spike is suggestive...

Thanks Bruno, you may be on to something here with the spike. The spike does appear to be taller on the lower part of the spike. The entire spike looks quite large or "massive" on the helmet, in my opinion. This spike isn't for the Helbing & Sackewitz JzP, as theirs have a distinctive taller top portion of the spike, compared to this one. The gray color seems to match quite well on the spike and the base for this helmet. It is possible that it might be a JzP spike.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back