Hey Gus!

Hey Keith, the practice grenade is a Mark I, other than that, you are spot on.
Best
Gus

Thanks Gus. Comes from all the ciphering I been doing ...a lot of words in them there books. I like the pictures though
:D

Keith

Here is a new addition, although the grenade cup and rod are reproductions, the originals are rarer than rocking horse droppings, and I am doing a display on hand and rifle grenades for the january UGCA show, and wanted to show the different ways that the Mills bomb could be delivered.
grenades028.jpg

grenades029.jpg

They were propelled with a blank of course.
Best
Gus

Oh Keith, I am sorry, but I am going to have to hate you now, The last one I got was also a trench lantern, but the handle was a reproduction, yours looks original. The price was considerable more than I paid, but I think you got a good deal on it.
Best
Gus

Gus

Yeah I kinda blew the bonus money (at least the portion my wife lets me have), but I hadn't seen a decent one come up for a while

Keith

Gus,

Is that an Italian SIPE grenade to the right of your Austrian belt grenade? If so could you post a picture of the fuse?

Keith

Gustaf said:
Hey Bryan,
You make it sound like I know what I am doing, but OK, I will start with a photo of most of my bangy things,
Mar2011001.jpg

Best
Gus

Hey Ron,
Those are the ebay photos, Keith has not been able to play with this yet, that makes me feel better.

Keith, here is a photo of the fuse on the SIPE grenade, it is left had threads into the body and the cap has right hand threads, so that the fuse will not be screwed out when the cap is removed.
grenades031.jpg

I like the way you can view the fragmentation plates in the new M1912, the grenade I have was opened with a can opener to remove the explosive, and I was able to remove two of the frag plates for viewing. It is interesting that the fragments are ¼ vershok in size. This is an obsolete Russian measuring system.
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Ron,
Those are the ebay photos, Keith has not been able to play with this yet, that makes me feel better.

Keith, here is a photo of the fuse on the SIPE grenade, it is left had threads into the body and the cap has right hand threads, so that the fuse will not be screwed out when the cap is removed.
grenades031.jpg

I like the way you can view the fragmentation plates in the new M1912, the grenade I have was opened with a can opener to remove the explosive, and I was able to remove two of the frag plates for viewing. It is interesting that the fragments are ¼ vershok in size. This is an obsolete Russian measuring system.
Best
Gus

I thought for sure that it measured at least 1/2 vershok, maybe as much as 9/16 vershok :D

Am waiting anxiously for it to arrive

Keith

I attended the UGCA gun show in Ogden, Utah this past week end, and presented a display on WWI grenades.
grenades050.jpg

I got 3rd prize for it, and was pretty happy about that as the competition was really tough, one of the people who beat me was a mentor when I started to display at the show, and the display that took grand prize did so because they followed my advice on how to improve their display for the judging. The items themselves only account for a small part of the score, the rest is based on the presentation, supporting material and labeling.
Best
Gus

Gus

Looks great. If I woulda known, I woulda drove up from the Springs and reached waaaay over the wire to help fill up the truck :D

Keith

Nice side-by-side comparison Gus! :thumb up:
I would've placed barbwire between belligerents though :wink:

It was interesting, we did not have the wire up on Saturday, as it snowed Saturday morning, and the pig tails and wire were coated with ice and snow, and I did not want to mess with mopping the floor, the show had good attendance and I had to stay with the display and slap hands for touching the grenades. about 40 out of 900 people had to be chastised. We got the wire up Saturday evening as the show was closing so it would be in place for the Sunday crowd, which was lighter (a little over 300) but there was not a single person who touched the display. I have always used the wire as a barrier, as it is a very important part of WWI, and knew that it helped, but I was shocked as to how effective it really is. I will never set up a display with out it again. I am even thinking about electrifying the grenades when I do this display again. We use a electric fencer designed in New Zealand that give a 50,000 volt pop that is a great deterrent and much safer than the lower voltage pulse fencers that we used to use. The wire would not be electrified, only the grenades, and if I do it I think I will put a pressure switch under the grenade that requires that it be lifted before the shock.
Best
gus

Gus

Let me know when and where you'll be displaying after you electrify the display....I would pay money to watch the show. Once in college I saw a guy a a party take a leak on a fence line (Hey, it was North Dakota), not knowing there was an electric weed burning fence there too. When the stream hit the fence...let's just say that I always check now

Keith

Hey Keith, You really have to be pretty close to get zapped by an electric fence, as the stream breaks up into droplets rather quickly, but I am not going to see how close you have to be, I always look too. I have a cousin who is immune to electricity, he checks ignition systems by touching the spark plugs.
I might set the fencer up in front of the display and have a sign that says " some of the items are electrified, and that if they want to know which ones are, they are welcome to touch". The fencer makes a pretty good pop when it is hooked up, and that may make it unnecessary to wire the individual items.
We have done displays of children in the past, and have found that the biggest problem is with adults that should know better, even at this last show, I only had to speak to one child, and the rest were adults and on a percentage basis, adults are 10 time dumber than kids.
Best
Gus

Hey Keith,
This is the second since you got yours, I am still high bidder on this one but I did not notice that the handle was a replacement until after I bid, but it is still a very nice example, although lacking the frag plates. If I miss this one, I suspect there will be more, he may flood the market. What I would really like to find is a M1914 bottle grenade and a m1917 gas grenade.
Best
Gus

Back