Hi

Louise

Hi guys , I was googeling to find out more about the pickelhaube ,and found this forum with many advanced collectors ,and wanted to become a member right away :)

I don't have any helmets yet but I dream of having a collection too.
I like the Prussians and the Hessians the most ,they have an extraordinary military history.

Greetings
Louise

Am I the only girl here ?

Welcome Louise, you may be the only current girl here, but not the first. We have not heard from Amy for a while ans it turned out that Laurie was a 6 foot 4 fellow from Canada who at least had a good sense of humor when I called him a girl.
Best
Gus

a man or a woman makes no diffrence
we are al the same here 'collectors/ famelly' :thumb up:
a warm welcome here

jonas

Thanks for the welcome, guys and thanks also, Leone for the nice flowers ... it seems that this room is a "friendly room"!

Louise,

:D

indeed: please note: the nicest blokes happen to be found amongst the illustrious gentlemen of the "Wild Bunch"
AKA: "The Belgian Branch"...
Francis
:army:

A warm welcome!
This is indeed a nice avatar, a great picture of Viktoria-Luise, Wilhelm II's daughter.
A little trivia since we are on a Pickelhaube forum: in 1961, Viktoria-Luise made a donation to the the Rastatt museum: an IR92 Totenkopf officer helmet...

ps372 by Joe Robinson, on Flickr

Viktoria Luise Adelheid Mathilde Charlotte (Marmorpalais 13 Sep 1892-Hannover 11 Dec 1980); m.Berlin 24 May 1913 Ernst August Pr of Hannover, Duke of Braunschweig (Penzing 17 Nov 1887-Schloß Marienburg 30 Jan 1953)

Cecile Auguste Marie (Schwerin 20 Sep 1886-Bad Kissingen 6 May 1954); m.Berlin 6 Jun 1905 Wilhelm, Crown Pr of Prussia (Marmorpalais 6 May 1882-Hechingen 20 Jul 1951)

Welcome!

Welcome Louise

Great pics indeed Joe.
There is a sporting gun held in a collection not far from me that was the property of Princess Viktoria, also a number of other Prussian Royal Family guns. I have pictures somewhere if I find them I will post them.

Andrew

Okay, an official welcome away from the infantry officer helmet thread. If you are looking for a GREAT helmet to start with, that Prussian Infantry officer would be one to bid on. Sorry, I never noticed the font color bar before...

The best advice to new collectors is to get some reference books, look at examples in museums and at military shows, learn how to spot fakes (there are TOOOOO MANY out there!). If you want to PM any of us, we'll gladly tell you what to look for, but don't do that here too often because we don't want the fakers to get better. They're good enough already to take money from people new to the hobby, which is sad.

You will also find that Joe (a real expert on Imperial German history), will always find a cool photo. Of course, others are also experts, so this is a great place to learn.

:D Ron

If you're starting to collect, here's a trustworthy dealer:

http://ageofkingsmilitaria.com/headgear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And (other than sites of folks who frequent the forum) is a good site to learn from:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe, who posted the photo, also has a wonderful site.

If you want to look at a LOT of Pickelhaube for sale, then there's Weitze

https://www.weitze.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've dealt with all of these. Of course, we have a lot of great collectors here from whom I've learned A LOT.

Louise said:
Thank you Ron, all I need to do now is win the lottery [-o<
So these people are reliable?

I would put Age of Kings first for reliability, but Weitze is also good although pricey (IMHO). As with any, you have to know what you're looking for and be critical of the photos (or a helmet in a shop, in your hands, etc). It's always important to be able to return an item, because sometimes what seems good to a dealer is a red light for the collector. For example, one collector might not want a helmet with a repro chin strap, while another might not mind in some cases. It's all up to the buyer.

So, anyway, you're in the right place. You can always post a photo or five of what you're thinking of purchasing and get some honest opinions here. On the other hand, most of the folks here are reluctant or unwilling to appraise the value of a helmet for a variety of reasons.

Anyone else?

Yes, it can be an expensive hobby.

A warm welcome to the forum Louise. As usual, I am a bit late here in commenting. Love the pink font! We need some female influence on the forum, to keep "the boys" in line. :)

Back