High quality picklehaube manufacturers

wadair95

I am interested in the Duchy of Parma and the picklehaubes worn by the troops of that state. I am new to picklehaubes in general but is there a manufacturer who produces custom high quality replicas? I believe they used the duchy used the 1842 variant. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 53257a9e09307e897165ef9a6ebdf6bc.jpg
    53257a9e09307e897165ef9a6ebdf6bc.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to the Forum. But unfortunately I don’t know a replica manufacturer who offers these old Helmets.

Thomislaw at Spikehelmets in Mosina, Poland knows craftspeople who can produce a good M1842 facsimile. I have an original brass Parma plate, extraordinary design work of Bourbon coat of arms. Parma was threatened by both French and Austrian ambitions during the 1840's and sought to ally themselves with Prussia but their duke was assasinated and later Parma was absorbed although I think the title is active. They had a remarkable GduC helmet with a silver star and scarlet plume as well.

I recommend a beautifully produced book. Lots of photos including original daguerotype images of troops in their M1842s, many different helmets, and plenty of color plates.

These are daguerreotype images of a Parma Infantryman and Mounted Artillery. They are fitted out in entirely 1842 Prussian style. The helmets are misinterpreted in some older prints and appear more British. Existing pickelhaubes indicate that they are M1842's manufactured in Germany as they are indistinguishable from Prussian ones.

Attachments

• Parma Daguer.jpg
    Parma Daguer.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 18
Here is my Parma helmet plate in stamped brass. CIII is Charles III Duke of Parma. The duchy had been ruled as a subject of a branch of the French-Spanish Bourbon dynasty. More research needs to be done on the politics here. Bismarck would take great interest in Italy at the outset of the Austro-Prussian War but by then Italy had been unified. I like the plate because you can see the investment by Charles in presenting his duchy as a potential member of the Northern German Alliance states.

Attachments

• Parma Plate 2.jpg
    Parma Plate 2.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Parma Plate 1.jpg
    Parma Plate 1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 6
Back