History of the Pickelhaube in the Bavarian armee and Landwehr

Sandmann

Dear friends,
in the last weeks I have intensively dealt with the history of the Pickelhaube in the Bavarian Army. As already done for Prussia I have reconstructed this using original AKO texts or contemporary publications. You will find the results on my blog on my website in German and English:
I hope you like it and it is useful for you.
Further I added the Bavarian clothing regulations for officers from 1904 to the download section, which I have digitized. It doesn’t include a word recognition, because it's just a simple scan, but it is good legible.
Enjoy!

Many thanks for this !
Will you add something on Tschapkas ?
The Bavarian Tschapka is an endangered species. You hardly ever see it. Not a single post on Bavarian Tschapkas on this forum ever, unless I am mistaken...

Thank you gentlemen, I‘m glad you like it.
I plan to make a similar timeline about the Tschapka and the Bavarian Tschapka as well, but right now I don’t know when this will be.

Very good. “In Treue fest”

I like these Bavarian Tschapkas a lot! My great-grandfather served with UR 2 in Ansbach.

Sandy your Bayern regulations page is simply outstanding. You have helped everyone who has a Bayern helmet or researching them. An enormous effort. Well done. I've never seen such a concise and manageable timeline of Bayern leather helmets.

I was reading your page Die Geschichte der Pickelhaube in der königlich bayerischen Armee, then at the end, I realized you had translated it to English.... That's much easier and I don't know where else I could see these in English. Thank you.

As it is Friday evening, here for fun is a quick photo of issued Bayern helmets. An M1886 Chevauleger, frosty M1886 in Neusilber, and a FNM M1914 FAR. Enjoy.

Bayern_Dec2022.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Maybe I should have comment the texts with „translated“, but I‘m glad you like it and appreciate your opinions :ninja:

Sandy your Bayern regulations page is simply outstanding. You have helped everyone who has a Bayern helmet or researching them. An enormous effort. Well done. I've never seen such a concise and manageable timeline of Bayern leather helmets.

I was reading your page Die Geschichte der Pickelhaube in der königlich bayerischen Armee, then at the end, I realized you had translated it to English.... That's much easier and I don't know where else I could see these in English. Thank you.

As it is Friday evening, here for fun is a quick photo of issued Bayern helmets. An M1886 Chevauleger, frosty M1886 in Neusilber, and a FNM M1914 FAR. Enjoy.

View attachment 27516
Tony:

Nice photo layout. Attractive selection of Bayern hauben!

...and the inclusion of a Moosehead lager is a nice touch.

Back