Hoch die Leib Husaren!

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
To start off 2021, here is something of great significance to me as a Totenkopf Collector.

So here it is, my impossible dream of 40+ years, a complete standing Husar from 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Königin Viktoria von Preußen Nr.2 (Danzig/Langfuhr) XVII Armee Korps, complete with:

- Issued M1894 Preußen Husaren Mannschaften (Other Ranks) 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Nr.2 Pelzmütze
- Issued 2. LHR Nr.2 Attila
- Issued Husaren Reithosen (breeches)
- Issued Husaren Schärpe (cord belt)
- Issued Husaren Säbeltasche (leather Husaren pouch that hangs off the left hip)
- Issued Husaren leather Kartuschkasten mit Bandolier (cartridge box and strap)
- Issued Husaren Säbelgehänge (sword belt)- Husaren Stiefel (Husaren boots)
- Issued M-1852/79 sabre

2LHR2_Husar1.jpg

The star of course, is an extremely rare issued M1894 Preußen Husaren Mannschaften (Other Ranks)  Pelzmütze worn by Unteroffizier Hans Schulze who served in  2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Königin Viktoria von Preußen Nr.2. Unteroffizier Hans Schulze's issued Pelzmütze was obtained directly from his family who live in North Rhine-Westphalia, which is located northwest of Düsseldorf Germany. 
The 1915 dated Pelzmütze body is a tight black-dyed seal hide sewn around a frame. The hide remains in absolutely un-touched perfect as-new condition, with no missing hair or damage of any kind. 

The massive Neusilber (nickel-silver) Husaren Mannschaften Leib Husaren Totenkopf was worn by Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.1 and Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.2 from 1815 to 1918. This is an issued Totenkopf which has all the specific characteristics of an original. On the front of the Totenkopf, some original mercury silver wash remains visible in the low areas. On the reverse, the mercury silver wash ran down the back in several places leaving white streaks. This gives an indication that when issued, the Totenkopf on the front, as well as the Bandeau, would have looked almost white. I have quite a few Totenkopf, but this one is astounding.

The Neusilber Husaren Mannschaften Bandeau (ribbon) has the correct fine pebbling and razor sharp details to the lettering, which also still shows signs of the mercury silver wash in low areas. The issued Bandeau worn by the two Leib-Husaren Regiments was unique, in that it curved upwards to accommodate the large Totenkopf.  The chinscales are beautifully toned with age, and show no sign of ever being removed.  The original Fangschnur (securing cord) is correctly attached and looped with a toggle, which is black/white flecked which is correct for Hans Schulze's rank of Unteroffizier. The Feldzeichen on top which has browned from age, is Eigentumsstück (privately purchased) and made from a looped cord over a wooden form, with a black velvet center and backing. Leib-HusarenPelzmützen have been heavily faked forever; so to see and handle to see an original issued example like this is invigorating. It is an astoundingly dead-perfect issued original, and I am astounded that I finally have one.

2LHR2_Pelzmutze_Hans_Schulze_1.jpg

Issued 2. LHR Nr.2 Attila dated 1913 in stone-mint unissued unbelievable condition. Bekleidungsamt (clothing depot) 2LHR2 stamped with a sewn name tag for Husar Klank.  This Attila came to me out of a Berlin Antique shop a few years ago.

Attila.jpg

Issued Husaren Reithosen (breeches) with leather seat and inside legs;  Bekleidungsamt (clothing depot) stamped, but too faint to make out.  

Reithosen.jpg

Issued Husaren Säbeltasche (leather Husaren pouch that hangs off the left hip) correct for 2.LHR Nr.2.  All Preußen (Prussian) Husaren Regt. with silver Bandeau and buttons wore the same Säbeltasche. 

Sabeltasche.jpg

Issued Husaren Säbelgehänge (sword belt) which really serves no purpose other than being ornamental. The saber or degen was suspended by a sword belt around the waist under the Attila. 

Scharpe.jpg

This busby is a truly exceptional find, Tony. Astounding. Perhaps shall we also see pictures of the inside...
I am really happy for you.

Absolutely amazing!
That is probably the only complete set in existence.
Truly astonishing.

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I sit here, slack jawed and speechless, in complete awe. That ensemble takes my breath away and I am beyond envious!!! You have the best Totenkopf collection of anyone I have ever met. What a way to start the new year Tony!!!

John

Tony,

The whole group is superb. What is the history of the items being kept together and so beautifully preserved and cared for?

Patrick

Excellent as always T! A very cool positive way to start the launch of 2021. Congratulations :thumb up:

Thanks everyone.

chinstrap said:
The whole group is superb. What is the history of the items being kept together and so beautifully preserved and cared for?

Patrick I put the set together over many years. It’s not from one Husar. What matters is that it is all correct for a Leib-Husar.

SkipperJohn said:
Absolutely amazing!
That is probably the only complete set in existence.
Truly astonishing.

Thanks John, but there are a few more out there. There are some incredible collections out there. I am just very fortunate to have completed a standing Leib-Husar.
I can die happy now :eek:ccasion5:

Back