Hoch die Leib Husaren!

911car said:
// Perhaps shall we also see pictures of the inside...//

Here is the interior of Unteroffizier Hans Schulze's issued Pelzmütze as requested. Typical Pelzmütze liner for an issued M1894 pattern Pelzmütze with the distinctive leather pointed "tongues" perforated at the ends for a leather string to adjust the fit. This pattern of liner was used for issue helmets for the entire life of the Pelzmütze from 1850 to 1915. The only markings are a stamped 1915 BA acceptance date, and a size 57.

2LHR2_Pelzmutze_Interior.jpg

Tony,
This is an outstanding uniform group. It truly is a one of a kind grouping. Do you have any information on the former owners, Schulz and Klank? Thank you for taking the time to post this on the site!
Best regards,
John

Tony,
This is an outstanding uniform group. It truly is a one of a kind grouping. Do you have any information on the former owners, Schulz and Klank? Thank you for taking the time to post this on the site!
Best regards,
John

John all I have from The Attila is the name tag from Klank. No other information.

For Unteroffizier Hans Schulze his issued Pelzmütze and Attila were in storage with a great-niece who live in North Rhine-Westphalia, which is located northwest of Düsseldorf Germany. All the family knew, was that Hans was a great-uncle, her grandfather's brother. Sadly no information on when or where he was born, or what happened to him. All they had were those items, and the wonderful image below. Sadly, the Schirmmütze is lost to time.

2LHR2_Hans_Schulze_1914_posting.jpg

The Pelzmütze was as new condition, but the Attila was badly ravaged by time, and I was only able to salvage the shoulder straps and tailor label.

2LHR2_Straps_Hans_Schulze_small.jpg

Tony
Thank you for sharing what you were able to track down on one of owners of the grouping. It is amazing to have a RPPC of the trooper.
John

This incredible display (thanks for sharing Tony) inspired me to look up what's left of the Leib Husaren kaserne in the former Danzig-Langfuhr (now Wrzeszcz). As one would expect, what few buildings remain are either run-down or re-purposed.

Inkedkaserne_LI.jpg
kaserne 2.JPG
kaserne 3.JPG
kaserne 4.JPG

Sorry if write in this old thread. Wonderful!!!
Tony you should only tie the correct knot on the Leibschärpe.
I have some problems with the boots. Normaly if we have boots from the Kammer it´s a leather sling painted in white.
If we have boots Eigentumsstück then look at my picture. An Attila button is attached to your boot???
The boots belong to an uniform that i sold years ago to an belgian collector.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Sorry for spaming this thread here we have his son. A reduction of an original Uniform.

Attachments

• C5561401-7D37-4608-9FEB-809DE9A37F65.JPG
    C5561401-7D37-4608-9FEB-809DE9A37F65.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
//I have some problems with the boots. Normaly if we have boots from the Kammer it´s a leather sling painted in white.
If we have boots Eigentumsstück then look at my picture. An Attila button is attached to your boot???//
You are absolutely correct the boots are not correct. In my first posting I did not mention or photograph the boots by themselves because, as you noted, they are not correct, and to me it does not matter. I honestly do not care about boots. I am far more interested in headgear and uniforms.

In the 1990s I had 66 WWII mannequins standing. When I added up how much money I had in just boots and trousers and equipment I swore to never do that again. Since then I only have torsos with helmets, and only six standing soldiers, one of course being this Leib-Husar. You can watch collectors go half mad searching for years trying to find a correct pair of original boots to complete a mannequin, Gus as an example....

Plus, I am simply no longer willing to pay for an expensive pair of Husaren boots, when they are just boots. These work fine, and a collecting friend gave them to me, so I’m good. Your originals were wonderful.

Last edited:
To start off 2021, here is something of great significance to me as a Totenkopf Collector.

So here it is, my impossible dream of 40+ years, a complete standing Husar from 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Königin Viktoria von Preußen Nr.2 (Danzig/Langfuhr) XVII Armee Korps, complete with:

- Issued M1894 Preußen Husaren Mannschaften (Other Ranks) 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Nr.2 Pelzmütze
- Issued 2. LHR Nr.2 Attila
- Issued Husaren Reithosen (breeches)
- Issued Husaren Schärpe (cord belt)
- Issued Husaren Säbeltasche (leather Husaren pouch that hangs off the left hip)
- Issued Husaren leather Kartuschkasten mit Bandolier (cartridge box and strap)
- Issued Husaren Säbelgehänge (sword belt)- Husaren Stiefel (Husaren boots)
- Issued M-1852/79 sabre

2LHR2_Husar1.jpg

The star of course, is an extremely rare issued M1894 Preußen Husaren Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Pelzmütze worn by Unteroffizier Hans Schulze who served in 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Königin Viktoria von Preußen Nr.2. Unteroffizier Hans Schulze's issued Pelzmütze was obtained directly from his family who live in North Rhine-Westphalia, which is located northwest of Düsseldorf Germany.
The 1915 dated Pelzmütze body is a tight black-dyed seal hide sewn around a frame. The hide remains in absolutely un-touched perfect as-new condition, with no missing hair or damage of any kind.

The massive Neusilber (nickel-silver) Husaren Mannschaften Leib Husaren Totenkopf was worn by Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.1 and Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.2 from 1815 to 1918. This is an issued Totenkopf which has all the specific characteristics of an original. On the front of the Totenkopf, some original mercury silver wash remains visible in the low areas. On the reverse, the mercury silver wash ran down the back in several places leaving white streaks. This gives an indication that when issued, the Totenkopf on the front, as well as the Bandeau, would have looked almost white. I have quite a few Totenkopf, but this one is astounding.

The Neusilber Husaren Mannschaften Bandeau (ribbon) has the correct fine pebbling and razor sharp details to the lettering, which also still shows signs of the mercury silver wash in low areas. The issued Bandeau worn by the two Leib-Husaren Regiments was unique, in that it curved upwards to accommodate the large Totenkopf. The chinscales are beautifully toned with age, and show no sign of ever being removed. The original Fangschnur (securing cord) is correctly attached and looped with a toggle, which is black/white flecked which is correct for Hans Schulze's rank of Unteroffizier. The Feldzeichen on top which has browned from age, is Eigentumsstück (privately purchased) and made from a looped cord over a wooden form, with a black velvet center and backing. Leib-HusarenPelzmützen have been heavily faked forever; so to see and handle to see an original issued example like this is invigorating. It is an astoundingly dead-perfect issued original, and I am astounded that I finally have one.

2LHR2_Pelzmutze_Hans_Schulze_1.jpg

Issued 2. LHR Nr.2 Attila dated 1913 in stone-mint unissued unbelievable condition. Bekleidungsamt (clothing depot) 2LHR2 stamped with a sewn name tag for Husar Klank. This Attila came to me out of a Berlin Antique shop a few years ago.

Attila.jpg

Issued Husaren Reithosen (breeches) with leather seat and inside legs; Bekleidungsamt (clothing depot) stamped, but too faint to make out.

Reithosen.jpg

Issued Husaren Säbeltasche (leather Husaren pouch that hangs off the left hip) correct for 2.LHR Nr.2. All Preußen (Prussian) Husaren Regt. with silver Bandeau and buttons wore the same Säbeltasche.

Sabeltasche.jpg

Issued Husaren Säbelgehänge (sword belt) which really serves no purpose other than being ornamental. The saber or degen was suspended by a sword belt around the waist under the Attila.

Scharpe.jpg
Tony ;
That is about as good as it gets
Steve

Back