Holes in Pickelhaube Body

derekb

Good Afternoon,

I have seen some Pickelhauben with two holes either side of the spike and just behind the Wappen similar to the ones in the photo, can anyone shed some light what they signify if anything.

Thanks and regards,

Derek.

it could be possible that there was originaly a kreutzblatt istead of the round base
thats my opinion on the question
for me its the only explanation why left ,right and behind the wappen there are extra holes

is there by any chanse a'n impresion on the outside that could reply on a kreutzblatt or maby on the inside of your haube

greetings

jonas

You need to see what Brian says about this. I always thought that was a sign that it had been converted From a fireman's helmet.

isn't a fireman's helmet not with a sort of coam in the middle that runs over the helmet
this helmet has holes on either side of he helmetbody and by looking i think it is the same distance of that from a kreutzblatt

jonas

If there are only two extra holes on each helmet, my guess would be that somebody wired it to a wall.

:D Ron

pointystuff said:
Maybe it was part of the giant Pickelhaube pyramid. :-k

Possibly, but from the photos I've seen, they weren't pierced by the wiring, but merely rested in a wire 'loop' that ran the length of the row... anyway, it would be quite possible that some had to be more securely fastened, especially at the top. But, if I were a kid who spent half of my childhood life selling war bonds and got a helmet with holes in it... I wouldn't be happy... or maybe it wouldn't have mattered. :-k I do agree though that if there are only two holes, it was probably to wire the helmet to the wall. I've one or two with tack holes in the neck guards from that purpose. No doubt, some geniuses even thought this was the 'proper way to display' a helmet.

I have seen this on several Model 1867 helmets. Often M60's, which had a cruciform base, were cut down to make an M67, which had a round base. When they did this the BKA would plug the extra holes and make new ones to accommodate the new spike base. I believe that Tony has one of these on his website.
I have never seen this on a Model 1915???
John

SkipperJohn said:
I have seen this on several Model 1867 helmets. Often M60's, which had a cruciform base, were cut down to make an M67, which had a round base. When they did this the BKA would plug the extra holes and make new ones to accommodate the new spike base. I believe that Tony has one of these on his website.
John

Given the Prussian penchant for economy, it does seem plausible.

SkipperJohn said:
John

This old Grenadier helmet - a 1867 model - was reworked from a 1860':

The stitching, once concealed under the rear spine of the 1860, is now on the front, hidden by the eagle plate:

The holes where the 1860 cruciform spike base was affixed have been patched:

The location of the holes for the original plate is still to be seen on the back of the shell:

If I'm not mistaken, the holes on the M15 are punched in, as with wire. Bruno's have been carefully punched to size, plugged and re-lacquered. I personally have never seen that on an M15, but wouldn't discount it happening. We need photos of the inside of the helmet in question (as well as close-ups of the holes), as the stitching on Bruno's is also proof that the helmet was updated / converted. I still say some misguided museum, VFW or collector put the holes in to 'properly' display the helmet.

By the way, Bruno, beautiful helmet. :)

I once owned a Bavarian M15 that had extra holes for the wappen very nicely plugged and refinished. I'm sure it was original, and the helmet was in unissued condition. Wish I still owned it.

Steve

It is not a converted fireman helmet as they do not have extra holes in those areas on the shell. The fireman comb leaves depressions in the top of the shell and extra holes in a direct line along the top of the shell. The extra holes, could be from an original cruciform spike base but if so, then there would be 3 extra holes not 2. A cruciform base will cover the holes of a round spike base....I have an officer shell which came with cruciform base but when that was taken off showed that originally the helme was round base. This was a period conversion not a modern one. Interior pictures would as has been said would help in solving this mystery. Regarding plugs for extra wappen holes, they also used black, painted metal, flat headed split brads to fill these. I saw this years ago on a Prussian M15, a quick solution to the problem.

Back