Hollwood, helmets, props, and militaria collecting

USMC-EOD

If the other members don't mind, I would like to put this out there.

I think it is kind of a fun subject!

Having been stationed as a Marine on the West Coast for most of my life, Hollywood and the film industry had a very minor but sometimes obvious influence on my daily life. It certainly influenced my younger life in my career choice!

As a Marine, film and TV show folks would come out to film, or record sound for dubbing effects. Sometimes, we got to meet actors, or Marines would be used in background shots of specific films or TV shows.

As one of many examples of this, one of my best friends used to proudly proclaim that his SAW section was in the movie "Heat" because the film sound dubbing editors came out to Camp Pendleton to record his sections' guns being fired in specific burst patterns to be used and added to the film, back when he was a machine gun instructor at the School of Infantry there.

The proximity of Hollywood to Camp Pendleton also influenced some of the items I collect...

Long before I became an officer, as a young Infantryman with barely two nickels to rub together, I used to go to the gun shows and militaria shows throughout the Southern California area.

In the mid 1990s through the early 2000s, many of the older and well established prop houses began to go out of business and started selling off their stock. Inevitably, a LOT of the prop house material that had been sold off began to show up at various shows.

This prop house material ranged from completely fabricated uniforms, equipment, weapons and helmets, to 100% completely original and unaltered military items which would almost always have a Prop House marking stamp somewhere on or inside the piece.

The really great thing for me back then, being broke, young, and enlisted, was that most of the collectors at the time seemed to really look down their nose at any uniforms or items with a prop house marking as being not worthy to purchase.

That meant that a broke young Marine like me could get 100% original German, French, British and American WWI uniforms back then for around $5 to $15 bucks apiece from certain dealers!
I recall being very careful in my selections of uniforms, because some peices in the piles i went through were altered by the studios. Sadly, I encountered some WWI Marine uniforms that the studios had altered into German uniforms...

An example of the types of finds that a friend of mine got, were unaltered, original WWI Marine Corps enlisted and officer uniforms that appeared to have been used in John Ford's movie "What Price Glory".

I personally found and purchased studio-made WWII German uniform tunics of the exact type I used to see as a kid when I would watch TV shows like "Combat" and "Rat Patrol" because they were cheap and had a Hollywood History "coolness" factor to them.

I have attached photos of some of the Hollywood items I have found out in California over the years. I think it is a good selection of Hollywood stuff you can run across.

The M1915 Guard enlisted helmet was picked up for next to nothing, mostly because it has the "WCC" Western Costume Company stamp in the interior showing that it was formerly property of a prop house. Nobody wanted to buy it, even though it was absolutely original and displays well.

The French helmet is made of cast aluminum, the French Berthier bayonet is made of older rubber and fits onto a rifle, and the French F-1 grenade is made of some type of older resin.

The WWI style German canteen and stick Grenade are made of wood. I have seen complete sets of this studio made German equipment which when shot in the background on black and white film looks like the real thing.

The German M1916 helmets I have pictured are made of form hammered bronze with soldered-on lugs and liner strips. Usually see these in feldgrau or camo paint schemes like pictured.

I have seen these weird shaped M1916 helmets in black and white movies my entire life, but it wasn't until I got stationed out in California and held several in my hands at shows that I began to appreciate the Hollywood film history behind them, which is why I grabbed a couple offered cheaply. These particular two came from one of the oldest film prop houses in Los Angeles that had been in business since the very first early days of film.

I still have a few dunkelblau German uniforms I got cheap because of Studio Prop House stamps inside.

I actually got to pick up an MGM marked Luger with the bore of the end of the interior of the barrel threaded so it could accept a screwed-in 9mm blank adaptor a few years back.

I would love to hear stories or see film used items other members have to show.

I find this subject interesting and rich with some of the "Americana" type history of the filming industries "yester-years", which helped influence many of us at a younger age into the collectors we are today.

Bryan.

Attachments

• 20221104_132344.jpg
    20221104_132344.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • 20221104_132420.jpg
    20221104_132420.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20221104_132503.jpg
    20221104_132503.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
I am insanely jealous, Bryan! These finds are awfully similar to items that came out of local costume shops here in Milwaukee. My Dad got Imperial German Waffenrocks for $5 back in the 70s when those shops would have sales of their inventory. Same thing with your helmet and uniforms, they pretty much all had the name of the costume house stamped in them, which I suppose does bring down the value a bit. Still, original pieces and had at a bargain!

Thanks for sharing these great items!

Last edited:
Thanks Karl.

Neat story!

I appreciate the post! I also have an interest in the stuff that came out from Francis Bannerman's stores way back in the day. A lot of perfectly good Indian Wars and SpanAm Wars stuff still exists to this day because people bought this stuff for small local play productions where it was stored in the costume areas of little theatres.

I am still amused to this day when I go out to our vacation home in SoCal and go to the little monthly militaria show in Bellflower.

I routinely see collectors there intently studying the interior lining of uniforms to check to see if they may have a Film Studio or Prop House marking on an otherwise 100% original piece.

The little stamps never bothered me, and it is usually fairly obvious if a uniform has been altered of had fake insignia added.

I guess it does help though if you wanted to beat the seller down on his asking price.

Both of these uniforms came out of Hollywood Prop House sales out in Southern California.

The uhlan uniform on the right has the little UCI stamp inside of it for Universal Costumers Incorporated.

Otherwise, both uniforms are 100% marked with period German manufacturers and issue markings.

A buddy who has been "in the business" in film and props out there told me that the particular firm where these were sold from had outfitted the germanic style uniforms for the 1952 movie version of "Prisoner of Zenda" starring James Mason.

I mean, seriously? How insanely cool is that!?!?

Attachments

• 20221104_160934.jpg
    20221104_160934.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20221104_160954.jpg
    20221104_160954.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
Both of these uniforms came out of Hollywood Prop House sales out in Southern California.

The uhlan uniform on the right has the little UCI stamp inside of it for Universal Costumers Incorporated.

Otherwise, both uniforms are 100% marked with period German manufacturers and issue markings.

A buddy who has been "in the business" in film and props out there told me that the particular firm where these were sold from had outfitted the germanic style uniforms for the 1952 movie version of "Prisoner of Zenda" starring James Mason.

I mean, seriously? How insanely cool is that!?!?
Is that an Imperial German name tag still in there? That is incredible!

If there is interest in this subject, I will keep posting.

This is the "Hollywood" prop luger that a buddy of mine bought from an MGM Studios sale of props on their Lot in the early 1970s. He was kind enough to sell it to me years later.

It came in a large box of plastic, rubber, and solid metal or aluminum pistols being sold as a Lot Purchase all together.

He recognized that the Luger in the box was actually a real, blank modified gun used in films, and he purchased the entire box.

This pistol is made from an early commercial American Eagle frame with a WWI German 1916 Erfurt barrel and toggle assembly.

The MGM markings are on the heel of the right side, and the interior of the barrel was heavily tapped and threaded for insertion of a blank adaptor.

It's kind of a cool movie prop, and it makes me wonder what MGM films I may have seen it in, in the past.

Attachments

• 20221104_163452.jpg
    20221104_163452.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 13
If there is interest in this subject, I will keep posting.

This is the "Hollywood" prop luger that a buddy of mine bought from an MGM Studios sale of props on their Lot in the early 1970s. He was kind enough to sell it to me years later.

It came in a large box of plastic, rubber, and solid metal or aluminum pistols being sold as a Lot Purchase all together.

He recognized that the Luger in the box was actually a real, blank modified gun used in films, and he purchased the entire box.

This pistol is made from an early commercial American Eagle frame with a WWI German 1916 Erfurt barrel and toggle assembly.

The MGM markings are on the heel of the right side, and the interior of the barrel was heavily tapped and threaded for insertion of a blank adaptor.

It's kind of a cool movie prop, and it makes me wonder what MGM films I may have seen it in, in the past.
That Luger, in its own right, is incredible!

Thanks Karl.

It's kind of neat to see that there is somebody else who appreciates the original items turned into Hollywood props.

I personally appreciate them for what they are, knowing full well that valuation on the original items decreases because of their Hollwood prop use.

I think there is a value to me as pieces which cover two different interests; WWI and Hollywood history in the movies.

That makes it fun, and I hope this thread is fun for others.

Years ago I had a friend out in Calif named Mike Parker
There was a shop that still had movie prop cloth hats
and Imperial German uniforms
and some Imperial Russian
Mike would go over and look things over
he would make a list and tell what was there
I asked him to get X Y & Z for me
I got many fine items that way
I think the owner of the shop was Bob Reise ?
Steve

The costume/prop industry helped conserve a lot of Imperial German stuff, especially cloth. It's not uncommon to find costume/prop shop stamps (from Germany as well as the US) on otherwise fine Imperials items. Who knows what would have happened to this material it didn't end up in prop inventories? Thanks for sharing - very interesting!

Hey Steve,

I was out in SoCal for the last 30 some-odd years, and the name and the name Bob Reise sounds very familiar.

Was the store you went to called Kaiser Bill's?

Red Star militaria out in Culver went out of business some tome back, but the really cool military antiques and firearms place right down the street from there still exists. I cannot remember the name off of the top of my head, but they moved to a new location out there locally, and they have the biggest showroom of antique swords, pole arms, armor and other stuff I have seen in most places. A great shop!

It seems like they are getting fewer and fewer out in California, though...

And hey, Jeff.

You are right. I don't think it would exist in the quantities we have today if it were not for them as well.

Hey Steve,

I was out in SoCal for the last 30 some-odd years, and the name and the name Bob Reise sounds very familiar.

Was the store you went to called Kaiser Bill's?

Red Star militaria out in Culver went out of business some tome back, but the really cool military antiques and firearms place right down the street from there still exists. I cannot remember the name off of the top of my head, but they moved to a new location out there locally, and they have the biggest showroom of antique swords, pole arms, armor and other stuff I have seen in most places. A great shop!

It seems like they are getting fewer and fewer out in California, though...

And hey, Jeff.

You are right. I don't think it would exist in the quantities we have today if it were not for them as well.
I never went myself
I did not live out that way
Mike Parker was my picker
a super fellow
I miss him
Steve

I never went myself
I did not live out that way
Mike Parker was my picker
a super fellow
I miss him
Steve
P S
My collector friend the late Ben Weed (Old Flags Wanted)
at the end of his life collected only flags that were movie props
Steve

Excellent thread...I always wondered about the uniforms and kit worn in the first All Quiet movie....were they originals??

Good.

I am going to try to be up there this year for my first time.

Looking forward to meeting you and anyone else who posts on this site there.

The only thing that could keep me away is if my knee surgery goes bad.

Bryan

Back