Holster markings

aicusv

A friend of mine has recently come up with a P08 holster. The holsters marked 3FaAR 1912 1FA. I'm assuming the 1FA is first field artillery. It is also marked:
B S T
WM

Not sure about the meaning of 1FaAR (what does the lower case "a" represent)?

No real idea about the other batch of stamps. Maker and acceptance marks???? I know that a W acceptance means Army (L is Bavarian) and that the M would mean Navy but they general would have a crown over them (no crowns on holster).

Are the markings faint or obscured? The regimental marking makes no sense as written. It may actually say 3FsAR which would be the 3rd Foot Artillery Regiment. There also may have been an A in front of the WM, reading AWM which is a Bavarian maker.

Steve

The more I look a the first unit mark, it may be 3FdAR. This could make sense for 3rd Field Art. I was incorrect on the one Line it reads B ST N. Here are a couple of photos. There is an A in font of the WM so that solves that - thanks.B ST N.jpeg
3FaAR.jpeg

What I found in one of my reference books, is that 3FdaR stands for Feldartillerie-Regiment General-Feldzuegmeister (1.Brandenburgiches) Nr.3
They had, at the start of the war on 02-08.1914 2 Feldartillerie Abteilungen, 1 and 2. So I think 1FA stands for 1 Feldartillerie Abteilung.

I hope this picture will help you out some.

Greetings, Coert.

Hello,

AWM stands for Artillerie-Werkstatt München, an army-workshop that made and repaired equipment related to arms, the "16" for the workshop number or inspector, and "12" for 1912. This fits really well with the unit stamp from 1912.

As this is before the First World War, the AWM would make equipment for the Bavarian Army-Corps only, as such I interpret the unit stamp as bay. 3. FAR (bay = Bavarian), stationed in Amberg in 1914.

The "1. F.A." could mean "I. fahrende Abteilung", but I would really expect that to be stamped "I. f.A." (Roman 1, small f), maybe they did things differently in Bavaria.

Regards, Lars

Back