Home from the colonies

Robert

I found a batch of 17 pictures that were taken in January 1919 in Ans. They show an evidently tropical unit that was released there from war prison. They had been detained from 1915 to 1919. Before parting, the soldiers had pictures taken for rememberance. Most of them have the names on the back, some also have additional devotements that tell the story. Regretably no unit is identified.

Names are Pziermann, Walter Bergert, Crobock (?), Dunschat (?), Franz Franke, Fischer II, Fischer IV, Grothe (?), Richard Gopel, August Wischnewski, Flühe (?), Kienast, Paul Herrmann, Karl Schmidt, Kronstwald

s2.jpg
s1.jpg

s3.jpg
s4.jpg
and so on..

Thanks for posting those great pics of the DSWA Schutztruppe.

Not wanting to be pedantic but I think you made a typo error, the POW camp was called Aus as far as I recall, not Ans.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the info. The camp´s name is written on the backs of a few cards. They used a mixture of kurrent and latin letters, so I thought the missing of the top dash indicated an "n".

Chris, thank you so much for the link! No wonder they developed quite a sense of togetherness after the prison time and had the pictures taken.

Back