Horchgerät Waetzmann

Westfront

My latest find is this German device Horchgerät Waetzmann manufactured by Siemems & Halske it was used to detect sounds and noises in particular the sound of digging from enemy tunnellers only trained pioneer troops used this device.(Source Johan Somers Imperial German uniforms and equipment 1907-1918)

DSC00255_zpsdjxpb9gd.jpg

DSC00258_zpsb3ildseg.jpg

DSC00262_zpsbpty4uzz.jpg

DSC00257_zpseavc6k5t.jpg

DSC00256_zpsgusquxqz.jpg

DSC00261_zpsuth2wtti.jpg

DSC00260_zpssgzehz1v.jpg

DSC00265_zpsxlgkn5tl.jpg

DSC00264_zps2mhhsgsn.jpg

Photo Firstwartechnik.
img59110_zpsjbmxxcue.jpg

DSC00269_zpssmy0sdmw.jpg

:bravo:

Great book on the Underground War !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beneath-Flanders-Fields-Tunnellers-1914-1918/dp/186227357X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great find,and an excellent collection of feldfernsprech devices you got there, :bravo: By the way,the book Francis mentions is very nice,I have a copy too,and the DVD Johan Vandewalle made too! I took it with me in 2008,when the Vampire-farm dugout was open for public,there I was,13 meters beneath Flanders Fields...what a time-capsule that was,you missed the sounds of guns booming overhead.. :thumb up:

Peter_Suciu said:
The smartphone of the day! Very cool find.

This is pretty cool ... but not the ancestor of smartphone...

WW1 has seen the development of what we know as geo-phones as well as other "ground properties" surveys. These technologies were further developed after the war for oil exploration and subsurface analysis by companies such as Schlumberger (Conrad Schlumberger was a reserve artillerie officer) . :)

Great find and in wonderful condition, :thumb up:

... and where is this museum going to be? :)

Thank you Gentlemen for the nice comments :thumb up: , Ed the museum is opening when my whippets have completed their training for museum guards :D

IMG_0110-006_zpswi3cffhz.jpg

Wouldend your dogs not be the worse guards ever
During the war is was unuseful for running with that
So to al the people you envite to come and look at his collection
One advice take along a steak or two and you wil be safe for a few hours :D

By the way thats a nice item you addet to your collection

Jonas

Back