How about Lt. Braun?

24ql4x2.jpg

How about this Leutnant Braun in april 1915?
From my digital collection I made some clips of details or you. Poststempel: 04-04-1915, Trier. Of course I am hoping for your always interesting reactions.

Pierre

ka4mfd.jpg

2qld0nl.jpg

dcepfk.jpg

a0ca9s.jpg

14uflao.jpg

Thanks Pierre, a very nice photo. Two things occur to me when I view photos like this, one is the fantastic clarity of the image itself. As you illustrate, under magnification you can clearly see the cypher on the grip of his M89 sword and the detail of the stitch pattern on his leather gloves. The second, is simply the tremendous amount of photographic record left behind by the German soldier of the era. Instead of just writing a letter home to the family, he and his comrades had a photo taken and sent that instead. There must have been cameras everywhere, every second soldier had one it seems. The result is a treasure trove for collectors and historians (like ourselves) to view and learn from. Great stuff.

Larmo

You're welcome, Larmo, and thanks for your reaction.
This a professional made, studio half-portrait. That is why the pixels have preserved the sharpness of most details. However the details of the Picklehaube lack this quality alas.
Usually the soldiers let he professionals make this kind of photo's before leaving to the front, or in between in a village a few km. behind the front. ("Gruessen aus Feindesland!").

I am afraid I can not read the text of the postcard, because it is an old hand writing, possibly Suetterlin handwriting.

It's a wonderful photo, to be sure, but the first thing that struck me, and still does, is how high that pickelhaube is sitting on the leutnant's head! It's almost like it's too small for him. :?

Back