How did they date pickelhauben?

colin111008

What were the ways they dated pickelhauben? I see some stamps on the top of the underside of the helmet dome, i see some dates painted or edged into the rear visor with a makers stamp usually found near a regimental mark. I ask this to identify any possible “fake” dates. Thank you!

Primarily, the makers mark is stamped into the crown of the helmet. In my experience, any painted regimental markings are also found in this location. The year date of any kind indicates the year the helmet was accepted into regimental stores. For the most part, this acceptance date, regimental number, battalion and kompanie are ink stamped onto the inside of the rear visor. Not all helmets have this complete sequence of information. By mid war, realizing that well marked pre war helmets contained a lot of information if picked up by the enemy the Germans stopped this practice. As a result, most M15’s have no markings except maker or date of manufacture. Some may have a Korps ink stamp in Roman numerals. Despite all of the above, you will encounter exceptions the longer you collect. You will also find prewar ink stamps sanded off or blacked out. Last , the Bavarians seem to have liked to sometimes imprint the regimental number into the leather. We have a list of regimental markings with photos here on the forum in the Pickelhaube Discussion area. In addition, we also have a list of manufacturers with photo examples.

Thank you! I’ve seen M1895 pickelhaubes dated 1916 and i’ve seen all these different locations for the dating stamps. Alright then, I think that answers my question. Thank you!

Also wait I have one more question, did any pre m15 models like the m95 have no markings at all? Or did they just have regimental or date stamps or both

Some pre 1914 government issued helmets did not have any regimental markings. There were rules and regulations but sometimes these were not followed. Private purchase helmets which includes mostly officers but also OR style were never regimentally marked. In these, you can find owner's names in ink or pencil and sometimes the number of the regiment they were serving in.

Back