how to... display question

stuka f

hey guy's;

searching the net last night, on the search for pickel's, I noticed, on a dealers pic something I would like to see in detail.
On the site of age of kings I saw helmets on display hanging in a way I would like to present mine as well.
We are both using the same rail system meant for shelves.
I just would like to know how the arm looks like on which they present they're helmets.

Here is my "wall" with a prototype experience with a pith helmet;

I've seen on other forums similar designs. Most of the time it requires a custom made metal "hook" that comes out of the wall and has a 90 degree angle and then some sort of ball at the end for the helmet to rest on.

As I can see from the photo above it appears it is standard track shelving with the notches. I personally don't care for these shelves, but have a few. These are the types of things you buy at a hardware store. Instead for my high end shelves I went with a company called Rakks (https://rakks.com/), which doesn't have the notches in the shelves. It is really designed more for architectures and for upscaling housing projects.

The installation is FAR more complicated and you need a level and patience (better if you hire someone). Because it doesn't have notches and instead the brackets are held with friction it is FAR more customizable and has a better look than a bunch of notches. I have to admit I'm always amazed that collectors will spend tens of thousands of dollars on helmets and then go and buy the cheapest shelves and rails!

My shelving system cost $4000 when I had it installed in my NYC apartment. I moved it to my house in Michigan and am still using it.

Check out Rakks and see if they might have some brackets that would work.

Thanks Peter.
I will check them too.
Might come to a solution...
I'll keep you informed.

stuka f said:
Thanks.
Not mine.
That was my question, how do you make them fly ...;-)

Sorry, my fault. Maybe this Google-search helps if you don‘t like to build it by your own. Before I decides to a regular stand I was thinking about a wall-mounting system too:

https://www.google.de/search?q=helmhalter+wand&tbm=isch&hl=de-de&client=safari&hl=de&ved=2ahUKEwifhfeilYPoAhUP16QKHSmbDnkQBXoECAEQKQ&biw=1366&bih=898

Great link!
Thanks a lot.
The thing is to positioning the helmet right where I want, versus the other exposed items.
Your link brought up a idea! Maybe to work with a flexible swan-neck.
I feel we are going to get there!

Ok, I finally came to this;
the base; next to the wall, is hinged. In order to ajust the positioning a bit.

I also had this, made from scrap, but it was quiet gross...

Thanks.
Yes, I think I am going to concentrated on that idea.
And the "Do It Yourself" seems the only option.

And it works pretty well to me.
It is just a start, I am sure I will or must improve a long the way.

Very nice way of displaying your helmets Kris!

I really like the slimmer versions, compared to the somewhat cruder first, they are not so visible, so they
don't obstruct from the helmets they are supporting.

I will look into this, as I have 2 more haubes coming to me, and room is getting cramped here.
Thanks for sharing this with us! :)

Have a nice weekend, Greetings, Coert. :thumb up:

Thanks for your gentle comments.
I am evoluating and noticed that ajustable spindles would be better.
Not that hard to make.
When the small spindle slides into a large shaft and can be hold in place by a screw, it should work.
But in the meanwhile I'll customize my supports...

Back